TalkBass OFFICIAL English Football thread 2013-14: Part 2

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BassyBill, Oct 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
  2. MartinG1957

MartinG1957 You can never have too many bones....

Aug 5, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    Up The Gunners!

Just wanted to start things off on a positive note - let the carnage begin :)

Oh and Bill....go to bed mate!

3. Register_To_Disable

4. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    bassybill likes this

5. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
  6. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    How are the newer Americans doing in the EPL and Championship Division so far? Anyone that has especially done well so far or is flailing so far?

I noticed there are two players from Massachusetts - Geoff Cameron for Stoke and Will Packwood for Birmingham.

7. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    That guy at Sunderland who'd previously had a spell at Hull must be wondering what he's let himself in for - again :)

8. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Altidore, yeah.... hopefully he'll pick things up, he's a good sort.

In January Agudelo arrives, will be interesting.

9. dangnewt

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    Thanks guys, I know there are and have been US keepers at the top levels, but I really want to see our younger forwards and midfielders find success.

10. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    I definitely would like the US to become a much stronger force in world football. Of course with their biggest stars becoming Red Devils. :D

Surprised no big team ever had a look at Wondolowski. Didn't do much at national level either, though.

Wouldn't mind United taking a punt on Fagundez right now either, for the opposite wing to Januzaj. I suppose he could play for the Uruguayan national team yet, though.

11. Keano

Keano

Dec 14, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Speaking of US keepers, here's a picture of Friedel rocking a pair of Dre Beats to remind us how target demographic and product marketing works.

[​IMG]

12. Agudelo will be the fourth American to join Stoke after Cameron, Shea, and Edu. That's gotta be the most ever for an a Premier side, right?

I have high expectations for Altidore - it's a shame he's stuck at Sunderland though.

13. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Maybe one day the deformed, 6 fingered, 3 toed, inbred, drooling Stoke Orcs may actually play football.

14. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    To be fair, you see practically every player with a set around their neck pre-match.

15. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I was a bit down over the Gunners performance, but then I checked the "other" score and West Ham's result cheered me considerably. Back to the Gunners, Wilshire was absolute dookie in the first half and much better in the second. I know his game is based in dribbling and driving at opponents, but he sure as hell gives the ball away a bunch. Ozil and Ramsey both looked tired. Giroud's hold up play was fantastic but he got no service. I will take the point, and going into the break at the top of the table, over the delusional filfthy reds.

16. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    I thought Stoke had more than 4, tbh.

Agreed with both points about Altidore. Was hoping Shea would surprise everyone too.

Edu seems to have completely disappeared.
    Honestly, they're a lot better this season so far.

17. dangnewt

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    On the plus side, he should see a lot of time and will have to work extra hard for his chances.

18. Keano

Keano

Dec 14, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Under Mark Hughes of all people, no less.

19. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    I know, shocking!

20. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    I was actually sad to see Tony Pulis leave Stoke. I heard he was getting ready to implement some advanced new tactics -

At least he did succeed in being the subject of a classic Goldie Lookin Chain track, can't take that accomplishment away from him.

21. I've never been to high on Shea - I saw him play for FC Dallas during his MLS days when they'd come to Houston (the Texas Derby!) and he's definitely talented but never thought he'd have as much potential as say Altidore or Cameron.

I'm a bit biased towards Geoff Cameron though, since he's a former Dynamo. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.