1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Talkbass on Twitter

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bassplayer_479, Mar 12, 2009.

1. I've been loving Twitter for a few months now, and I got to wondering...who else from Talkbass is on Twitter? :bag:

I figured we could get a thread going so that we can follow each other and keep the bass-ball (get it?) rolling outside of TB. Post you @ link, and remember to follow those above you!

Peace and Low End
    --Will

twitter.com/willorchard

2. I've never heard of it. Just clicked on your link and still don't know much more about it.

3. "Twitter is a social networking and micro-blogging service that enables its users to send and read other users' updates, tweets, which are text-based posts of up to 140 characters in length. Updates are displayed on the user's profile page and delivered to other users who have signed up to receive them."

(Wikipedia)

4. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Twitter is where you go when telling people about your activities through phone calls, text messages, emails, message boards, IMs, MySpace and Facebook just...isn't...enough.

5. And the point of this is? I don't mean to sound stupid, but why not just call someone?

6. This is a chance to communicate with people whom you have no idea who they are on topics you have in common. The same principle as a forum, but more "blog" oriented, in that you "tweet" out small Internet tidbits you've found: something interesting about your day, a picture of you dog playing hockey etc...and all of your followers see this and can reply to you about it...all instantly via teh interwebs. highly addictive, but even more so informative, in that you are essentially allowing X amount of people to gather interesting information for you and send it to you and others several times a day, and you get to do the same in return.

7. Thanks for taking the time to explain. :) So it's kind of like a cross between a forum and instant messaging.

8. Thats definitely a good way to put. I myself was a bit skeptical at first, but with a little time it can be a good tool.

9. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Speaking as someone whose job forces him to live on a 24/7 electronic tether...

[rant]Because we're building an entire generation of attention whores who not only demand continuous human interaction, but who are so egotistical that they think someone else might actually give a flying rat's @$$ that they're eating a frickin' ham sandwich right now. How about turning that crap off and reading a book?[/rant]

Whew. That felt good. Thanks. :)

[Not directed at any individual or technology--just a generic rant on the shallow, self-absorbed society we're building. :) ]

10. ummm...thanks i guess?

Please, this is meant to be a way to share your twitter account with other bass players, not a way to vent on someones way of life. You said a lot of inappropriate things in that post that I'm choosing to ignore ...but lets keep this clean.

...and for the record, I do in fact read.

11. banre

banre

Dec 15, 2008
    Mobile, AL
  12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
  13. banre

banre

Dec 15, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    Just remembered I was following Stephan Lessard, bassist for the Dave Matthews Band if anyone wants to follow him on twitter.

http://twitter.com/slessard

14. @beewsee

Hit me up, peeps. :)

15. mattq

mattq

May 23, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    twitter.com/mattq83