TalkBass online Collaborators

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bassbeater, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Yes, I liked it

2. No, but I'd like to try

3. Yes, but it was a disasterpiece

4. No, and not interested

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Hey TB, first thread here, be gentle, or not. :)

I collaborate online quite a bit.
    Typically I write a melody, then lyrics, then chord changes and basic arrangments.
    Then I either set up a click track, program simple drums or rough-chop some drum samples to make a reference track and record rough takes of instruments and vocals. This rough track goes out to the drummer and other musicians if any, then I retrack to the new drums and instruments and do a ton of post work to finish the song. Sometimes I come up with passable demo material that way. It's always fun for me.
    I started doing this about 5 years ago to save money on gas, and use time efficiently, while still working with other musicians. Now I enjoy it more than working in bands directly.

-Wondering if anyone else on here is into that sort of thing, and how they go about it.

Some ideas for online or remote sessions/collabs nerd discussion:
    What's your workflow?
    How do you share the files?
    Do you use contracts?
    Are you satisfied with the process?

Please feel free to share your tips and tricks and stories if you like.
    Thanks!
    -Slimm(bassbeater)

2. viribus

viribus Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    I got nothing. But the thread title made me think of a "cabal" working behind the scenes to discredit or take down TalkBass. I guess I need to spend less time reading current news. ;)

Bassbeater likes this.
  3. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    There is no intended subversion here. Probably there should be! :D

4. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I haven't got into it yet, but am seriously considering it.
    I've seen JamKazam mentioned a few times here as a fairly promising way into this area, I've just not had time to get it working.

Bassbeater likes this.
  5. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    It's hard to get a workflow going when you first try, because it's all kind of freeform. I've used wikiloops. looperman, ohm studio and various forums. The best luck I had was going to a forum. Like a bass forum, radio forum etc and posting an advert or contacting players that i liked directly through band pages and websites. that's the big puzzle! How do you start? I'm thinking of starting one here. Lots of good players!

6. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    I am not a guitar player, so I have collaborated with a couple of guitarists via swapping tracks over the internet. However, one is a guitarist on the other side of the country that I played with years ago, and the other is a local guy who auditioned for a band I'm in, decided to bail, but I liked his chops so I sent him some stuff and we're working together that way.

I think it would be a hard sell to get a really good player to collaborate with you if they don't know you personally in some way. There are a lot of people trying to get stuff for free.

Bassbeater likes this.
  7. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    I've done it a few times in the past - using Dropbox to manage the files.

The whole thing worked well, and was kind of fun - though not the fastest way of working.

Ironically, since Pro Tools incorporated this feature (and a pretty well thought out workflow), I haven't had to use it once.

Bassbeater likes this.
  8. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    It is a very hard sell to get started! I have to pitch the tracks like I'm courting a label, and sometimes it just doesn't go anywhere. :) I offer contract options and writer's percentages for those interested. And I explain exactly what I do with the tracks.
    It's surprising how many great players will put in the time, because it really can be like having an original band once you get the relationship and workflow going. And zero drama shared, just creativity!
    Through online collabs I've been able to work with musicians in California, France, Greece, Armenia, Italy, Russia, Germany and Croata. I feel pretty lucky!! It's very cool learning the differences in various music cultures!

bholder, Wood and Wire and Lbsterner like this.
  9. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Agreed. For me the speed factor starts to catch up when I add in the band management time involved with travel, rental, organizing and etc. Still I'm sure the workflow and approaches will continue to be refined with time. (hoping).

Wood and Wire likes this.
  10. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Iggy did an album over the internet recently and loved it, said he loved not having to manage people. He said that specifically, he did not miss guitarists!

Bassbeater likes this.
  11. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    I cut these guitars and the bass on Garageband using a click track. Singer sang on that.
    The I emailed the stems to my pal (who, admittedly, I have met)
    and he overdubbed the keys and drums. He works in cube base so we have to do a file conversion in between, but it is no issue so long
    as all the tracks have an identical start point to allow sync.

bholder and Bassbeater like this.
  12. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    That track sounds great, well done!
    Outputting tracks like that is called rendering stems. I always do that because I don't want to worry about various DAW formats.
    If there are a lot of tracks I render groups(keys, drums, vocals) instead of individual tracks.
    Sometimes I use .OGG to save space because it can me uncompressed to raw PCM without losing quality.

Son of Wobble likes this.
  13. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Yes and YES.
    I have been lucky to work with easygoing professional types, but sometimes there is this amazing musician, and remotely you can work efficiently, but in the studio, after a few hours, egos would clash, or his cat would get your allergies going, whatever.
    Likewise if you encounter a slacker you can simply move on. It is harder for a slacker to drag down the project when they aren't physically involved in the process.

Son of Wobble likes this.
  14. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010

Thanks!

That friend that I record with is a true audio maven.
    He always laughs ruefully about how he went to school and learned how to make albums
    with reel-to-reel tape and a razor blade, only to see a full crossover to digital within 24 months
    of his graduation. So he had to learn it all twice, quickly.

Bassbeater likes this.
  15. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    .... I went to film school in the eighties and cut my first student opus on one of these:

Unknown-1.jpeg

upright Moviola

16. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Non Linear Editing and inexpensive digital audio interfaces changed everything. So amazing to be a songwriter or video producer right now!

17. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I tried, but it seems like just about everyone here plays (shudder) BASS.

Bassbeater and Son of Wobble like this.
  18. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Talk Bass itself is in fact our great collaboration. WOOT

19. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Yes. But all bass players. That won't work.:D

Bassbeater likes this.
  20. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Well, the ideal band would be mostly bass players! Actually I see a lot of posts from people who play other instruments.
    I play guitar, synth, drums(not well), bass and sing... but I can only tolerate bassists!

Oddly likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 20, 2022