Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TALKBASS, pimp my rid.......i mean amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Apr 13, 2005.

1. well....im planning on modding my 15" cab by adding a tweeter and adding neons to it :p ....but im just having a little trouble figuring out how im gonna do it.......i wouldnt mind them being a semi permanant thing the neons, but make them switchable..any ideas....

also, what criteria would i need to look for in adding a tweeter
    [​IMG]
    the cab is rated at 200w @ 8 ohm..but my actual cabinet is dual ported and the box isnt so big

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i was thinking putting two green neons horizonatally either side of the speaker behind the grill

2. Oh God No!!

Actually won't those neons give off hum to to your pickups?

3. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I remember seeing a band at Ozzfest a few years back...maybe SOAD...the only thing I liked about them is that the bass player had some soft blue lighting wrapped around the edge of his 8x10's. It was a cool effect...

I'd wrap the light all the way around the edge of the entire cab myself...just make sure you use LED lights and stay away from the neon...I would think the neon would be noisey.

4. Neons belong in car trunks with an abundance of mono-block amps and subwoofers, not bass cabs.

5. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    I would think neons may be a little too fragile as well, if you are taking it to gigs.

Imagine getting one of those plasma balls that responds to noise. Hehe would be the tackiest thing ever but you have to admit they look cool.

6. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    its going to need a chrome spinner hubcap on the grill. and some fuzzy dice too.

7. I had a problem like you, i wanted to put neon lights in my pedal-board, and someone helped me out way big.

Go to a computer-shop where they have case-modding utilities, and aks them for cold-cathode-lights.

These lights are made for computers, don't produce heat nor any interferences with PUs.

What you need is a 12V power-supply.

Link to ebay

8. i just think it'll be a cool effect...i mean, you have people like flea who wear pants made out of stuffed animals...why wouldnt you do something like this to a cheap cabinet? i mean, its a great way of attracting attention...the fender rumble amps have them dont they?......IMO its the same as putting stickers on your bass, not that i do that....at first i was just thinking of putting one under the cabinet...but i thought who's gonna see that, why not put them around the speakers :smug:

heres what ive got from a Jaycar Electronics Catalog, prices are in aussie dollars
    [​IMG]

9. Don't forget the big Chrome Tailpipe!! :scowl:

10. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    replace the port with a ported, chrome tailpipe for that really deep, throaty sound...

11. Funkengrooven

Funkengrooven Turn it down? You gotta be nuts!!

Are you nuts?? Just asking, :bag:
    I really can't imagine a more worserer use of money.
    Amps, Speakers, Pickups, Lessons, for sure....But the pimp thing ???
    Come On..... :confused:

12. After you get all the lights installed, install hydraulics so you can make it jump up and down.

13. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
  14. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Hey heath, this is X to the Z Xzibit, and I'm about to pimp your amp!

*Cue Theme Music*

Seriously, if you are serious abotu this, go with the Cold Cathode lights, they dont give off heat, and they last for a really long time.

Offtopic: Did anyone see that Pimp my Ride last week there they put spinners on the subwoofers. Dumbest **** ever...

15. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I'd pimp my head... wait a minute! That don't sound right!

16. I just want to encourage you.. go for it and post the results.

17. lol

+1

18. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    :rollno:

You forgot the most important thing!!!!

You have to have at least 2 15" TFT LCD screens, a DVD-changer and of course the Clarion hifi system!

Also, put some wheels under that cab. Make sore you have some oversize chrome bling rims for that!

:D :D :D :D
    this is the stoopidest idea as of today...

19. who needs casters? 24inch gold spinners is where its at :p

20. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    You said worserer and you want us to take you seriously?!?!?1