Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TalkBass pro (Dimin, Lawson, Manring, Watt) gettogether response thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by paul, Oct 31, 2002.

1. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    How'd you like to shoot the breeze with Mike Dimin, Steve Lawson, Michael Manring, and Mike Watt? We're exploring the idea of a TalkBass pro roundtable during NAMM in Anaheim, CA in Jan '03. The question at this point is: how many of you would be interested and likely to attend? We need to get a rough idea as we explore venue possibilities. The event will most likely not be at NAMM itself, so don't worry about NAMM access. Also, if you're from the LA area and would be willing to help organize the event or suggest a venue, please let me know!

Please post to this thread if you're likely to attend.

Thanks!

2. Hey man that's some cool stuff.

I have school...but I'm sure I could get out for a few days. Tell the admin I was sick...and then cough on them... :D

Nah but like. If I could just get a plane ticket over there, I'd LOVE to join up.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    NAMM is in anaheim...is it always in anaheim? I don't know I don't keep up with things like that, at anyrate Anaheim is only an hour and a half away from me, I would be so down to go. I don't think I have any obligations, but obligations always sneak up on me.
    but other than that, I would love that very much.

of course signing up and getting a badge and all that hoopla might be a little difficult...cause I don't know if I want to spend 175 bucks to go :D

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Well, as of right now, I am planning on being in attendance at the Winter show (first NAMM experience! Woohoo!!! :D) as a Bass Central employee. If all goes well, and I actually get there, I wouldn't miss that for anything.

JT and I were talking about it last night as well (in between bites of raw fish :eek: ), and he is going to be in attendance. I can't speak for him, but I'd be willing to bet he'll be there as well.

5. If I could go, I DEFINITELY would. I'd have to see if I could swing a trip down to one of our offices in Southern CA, and that's only about a 20% chance at this point. IF the get-together becomes a definite GO, I would try aggressively to make my trip south happen, and the odds of my attending would move to 50%.

6. 99% I'm there. The 1% is considering sickness, or godzilla or something. I'll be at NAMM also, I'm probably going to start a NAMM roll call thread when it comes close so when can all meet up or something.

I suck with organizing things, but I will help the best that I can. What type of place do you plan to meet? Somewhere to get a meal? Somewhere to jam? Something inbetween? I know the area relatively well, considering I live a couple blocks down from the Anaheim Convention Center where NAMM will be held.

7. BassTerd

BassTerd Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I'm there. I live about 20 minutes from the Aneheim Convention Center I so will be able to help out with something.

8. OoOh! OoOh!
    I'd love to go check it out, but my main problem is that I don't have a car. :(

Of course, if you guys want to come to USC campus... :D:p

9. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    The winter NAMM show is always in Anaheim (1 year they did LA). We would like to have a venue that was close enough to the Anaheim Convention Center that did not require those who flew in to have to travel and yet not actually part of the venue so ANY talkbass member can attend. Also a venue were people can eat, drink, socialize would be cool

For those of you in the area and willing to help. We have to move rather fast on this. Although NAMM is not till the 16th of Jan. Things get booked up REALLY fast.

Thanks to all who have responded so far. The NAMM dates are 1/16 - 1/19. I'll talk to the pros and see if any particular date works best.

Mike

10. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Depending on the cost of flights (they go crazy at Christmas) and if I dont need to hire a car I would consider it.

I'm going to be in LA anyway for 10 days in April (hint).

11. As long as it didn't turn into a gigantic "How to play Primus songs" discussion. :rolleyes: Right, Mike? ;)

12. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    he he he he :D

Mike

13. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    quote corrected

14. Woo Hoo!!!! I'm gonna be there!!! As Gard is doing, I'll be there with my GC badge on, but I'll be able to get away for at least SOME time.

See y'all there!!:D:D:D:D:D

Rock on
    Eric

15. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Why don't you guys just come to Iceland? That would save me a lot of trouble.

16. Make that us.

17. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Hey, that would be really cool! I would be interested.

18. funkasaurus

funkasaurus

Apr 23, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Sounds sweet. I'm definitely up for it if it's on the weekend!

19. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I'd have to find a cheap hotel room, but I'd be there.

20. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    If I can make it I'm in.