Talkbass ranked 77,820th in web traffic

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Dec 20, 2005.

1. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    You can read about it here

Keep in mind this ranking only applies for today, as the traffic count is updated daily.

The current Top 10 sites are:

1. Yahoo!
    2. Microsoft Network (MSN)
    3. Google
    4. eBay
    6. Amazon
    7. Microsoft Corporation
    8. Myspace
    9. Google UK
    10. AOL

It's interesting to see that the top three are the sites that are pretty likely to be a person's Home Page, thus giving them traffic anytime a web browser is opened.

It's noteworty that TB traffic died down significantly in August/September. My initial guess would be that all of the students going back to school started visiting a lot less.

It's also notworthy that it seems that traffic spikes just at the end of the month, i.e., the end of October, the end of November, etc.More info.
  2. jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    We can move into the top 75,000 if TPA re-opens.... :ninja:

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

4. I'm suprised google isn't in first place.
  5. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Almost catching my companies website, at 951 today lol ;)

Keep in mind, these ranking are collected by people using the Alexa toolbar, so is not exactly representative of the whole internet population, but its still a good comparison tool.
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    On the other hand, look at the hits chart. This place gets up to 30 million hits a DAY apparently.
  7. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

We could get to 70,000 if we could discuss the
    prevailing mystery ... [​IMG]
  8. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Haha I didn't even know it was closed.
  9. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Interesting, but as Juneau mentioned the stat isn't all that accurate. TB logs show no traffic dip in August, and while traffic dipped about 3% in September, according to the TB logs the Sept. numbers are actually equal to that of July, and October set a new traffic record for the year ;)

As more and more people install the Alexa toolbar I suspect our ranking with them will continue to fall.

I'd suspect the reason Google isn't #1 is that people who have the Alexa toolbar installed use it to search, instead of Google... Or that the type of person who'd install a 3rd party usage tracking toolbar are the type of people who'd use MSN to search... :ninja: Joking ;)
  10. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Hmmmm.... wonder if that Sept. dip had anything to do with us Gulf Coast regulars whose Internet connections were down following the hurricanes.... mine was out almost ALL of Sept.... :scowl:
  11. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    It's funny 'cause it's true. :D
  12. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    What bass and double bass website is a head of us?
  13. westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Google typically isn't first in traffic (number of hits) but people stay a lot longer at Google (which is good for advertising). This is because Google's philosophy is to be a search engine, not a portal (though they distinction between the two is more blurred every day).
  14. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    I must say I'm pretty surprised Yahoo is first and Myspace even made it into the top ten.
  15. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    You can, but only if you post in the Lobby.

Yes, I'm the new Lobby mod and the environment will be more lenient there than it is here. Someone should have started a Bass Babes thread there by now. I haven't checked.

Also, remember to go to Miscellaneous and say hi to the new Mod, XavierG. :)
  16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

What - you think it's all these salaried people getting paid and thinking : what bass gear should I buy now!!?? ;)
  17. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Was there a coup of some kind?
  18. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for the heads up! That will give me a reason to
    actually visit the Lobby, a place I have studiously avoided
    in the past as it indulged in the lowest known form of human
    intellectual activity, discussing politics with bassplayers.

TB unwritten rule: Only SMASH can start Bass Babes Threads
  19. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    No wonder I didn't see it...honest mistake.

I'd be delighted if SMASH would do the honors.
  20. I had no idea myspace was visited that often.