1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass' search engine

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Jun 25, 2007.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hi everybody.

Don't know if this can be done or if this has been asked before (my apologies in advance). Just want to suggest an improvement for TB's search engine. On most major services like Google or Yahoo, you can use quotation marks when you have several words and they will be understood by the engine as a single term. I think it greatly helps when looking for something very general like "search engine" or "Michael Jackson", for instance, but that doesn't work here as far as I've seen (please let me know if I'm wrong). Thanks for your attention!

2. FanOfAlice

FanOfAlice

Nov 8, 2006
    Wisconsin
    i agree 100% the search engine is hard to use and takes alot of time when you are looking for specific information

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    The quotations can really help narrow down searches that are otherwise quite vague. It's hard to look up specific info on very broad and commonly discussed topics we the search engine we have now.

4. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Quotes and all search ops are enabled for supporting members. We don't have the server power to enable this 'power search' for all members unfortunately. 4 million posts is a lot to search through :)

5. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Thanks for your reply, Paul! :)

6. I, as a supporting member would like to lend my super searching powers to the general public.

At a special introductory rate of $10.00 per, I can search your term/phrase in the talkbass database. I guarantee results. In fact, if you are not satisfied, feel free to send me an additional $10.00 and I will try again.

Right now, every fifth term/phrase is half off and you will get not one but two bottles of oxiClean!
    [​IMG]

:D

7. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    But wait, there's more!!! :D

8. That's right xgabriele!

Wait, ........ no, that's pretty much it.

9. Are "operators standing by" to take my call? Or if I call within the "next 30 minutes" will you give me an "exclusive offer" and perhaps even give me TWO of those searches for the price of one? :eek:

10. TWO FOR THE PRICE OF ONE?!?!?!

Can I offer you some steak knives instead?

11. fryBASS

fryBASS

Aug 8, 2006
    New Haven, CT
    Yes, yes, steak knifes! Are cheese knifes, parring knifes, carving knives, bread knives, etc. involved?!

12. Most major search engines you can enter "site:" and then what you are looking for. So for example from the yahoo home page you enter site:talkbass.com "Michael Jackson".

13. antiseptic

antiseptic **antisepticised**

Jul 18, 2006
    la la land
    What are you doing searching Michael Jackson in talkbass, anyway?

14. I agree 110%

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Or - you could actually use Google to search TalkBass - it's pretty easy to do!

16. Thats not the same Bruce! :p

As a non contributing member, I would like to remind people that I offered a breakdown of the services offered to contributing members!

Hey, at least I considered a subscription long enough to read the restrictions :)

17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I don't see the difference/problem - unless it is ultimate laziness!! :eyebrow:

18. Actualy Bruce, for once darling I must agree, but there pros and cons.

Using google will certainly help ease cpu load on talkbass server. searching and creation of database indexing is possible the most intense thing the tb server(s) could ever do.

Or, more memberships = server clustering = speed. Unless of course it runs on a windows o/s, then nothing helps, it's a little piggy.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 17, 2021