1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Talkbass Super Squire Budge Build

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by guitarjam6, Sep 18, 2010.

1. guitarjam6

guitarjam6

Feb 19, 2006
    So, I was thinking it'd be cool to tell everyone what I want to achieve, and get suggestions from the forum on what I should get for this bass... the catch, well, I'm spending the money, so ultimately I'll make the decision, but everything must be on the cheaps as well... here's the story:

I found this Squire P-Bass Special at my old house, and I want a fretless. I've been soldering a lot lately, so I'm doing the work myself. I'm rippin the frets off and moddin' this baby up. I play funk/rock stuff for the most part and really like the creamy sustain sound (ie. Tony Grey w/Hiromi). I'm going the marine epoxy way on the defretting route. I'm going to put flatwounds on it too.

I'm going to change the bridge, pickups (passive), volume and tone pots, input jack, wiring(don't know if it's shielded), and shield the electronics. I'll get to the tuners later. Everything I buy will prob be used, but of high quality. I was thinking Gotoh 201, EMG Jazz pups, and have no idea on any of the other stuff. But, I may be WAY off here, that's why I'm treating this as somewhat of a budget community build.

I'd like opinions on what parts would give the nice sustain and a nice deep sound. Please shoot me all the ideas you have. I'm ready to buy all the stuff and work on it now. I don't have a job, so I need to at least focus on something. Plus, this could make me a WAY better bass player if I do it well. I'll post progress pics and upload some good quality recordings when finished. I've always thought this would be fun, now I have the competence and resources to do it... GAME ON!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. You just found a bass in your house? i want to live there.

3. xoloder

xoloder

Aug 14, 2009
    San Leandro, CA.
    +1

4. Muaguana

Muaguana

Jul 28, 2009
    If you're looking for passive pickups, I wouldn't go with EMG's. Their Hz pickups - their only passive model last time I checked - aren't spectacular. Not bad, mind you, but there are better choices out there, as I'm sure many TB'ers will attest.

Personally, I would go with Tesla, at least for the bridge pup - I have a VR-B4 in my Squier jazz that sounds amazing, nice defined lows and punchy mids. If you're planning to keep the P/J arrangement, then you could put the matched pair in - VR-B4(J) and VR-B3(P). Teslas are about mid-range in terms of price (the P/J set mentioned is roughly $30 cheaper than the EMGHz P/J set), but their quality is excellent.

Just my $.02.

5. guitarjam6

guitarjam6

Feb 19, 2006
    Yeah, I found this Squire, which I thought was a much crappier version, and a Samick Pbass knock-off. People used to give em to me, or I'd just toss em 20 bucks for it.

I want to keep the P/J config. I've never even heard of the Teslas. I'll snoop around and see if I can find some used ones. Anyone know if there's a specific brand, or store that has goood deals on wiring and vol/tone pots. I'm going to replace all that, but want to use something that's of better quality, not just newer. Hoping to get away with doing all this for less than $75.

6. BrBss

BrBss

Jul 9, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    I believe I saw a Dimarzio P/J set on the classifieds yesterday for roughly $75.

7. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Austin, Tx.
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    Never heard Teslas, but I am in love with Delano pups. I've never heard anything like them before. I play country & reggae & like the big warm sound. They have it w/as much growl as you wanna put it.

8. guitarjam6

guitarjam6

Feb 19, 2006
    Yeah I checked out all those pickups suggested. Can't really find a deal on any of them at the moment. The 75 was meant to be bridge, pickup, and pots... I know, SUPER cheap, like almost unfathomable, but that was the point of the thread. I just put the first coat of polyester resin on now. It says the work time is 25-30 minutes, and I used just a bit more hardener than specified, but I'd rather the finish be hard than soft.

9. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

If you want to go cheap on pickups, consider OEM takeoffs. Stock G&L pickups, etc often go cheap on eBay.

10. cheap passive good:

GFS "hot" pickups

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 9, 2021