1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Talkbass User Enigma

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by GeneralElectric, Jun 1, 2011.

1. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    So last August a local TBer asked me if he could borrow my amp because his was still in the shop. We knew a lot of the same people (from my old HS) so I thought it'd be fine.

I said sure and he came over my Aunt's house to borrow it, an old Univox hollowbody, and some pedals. He lent me his fretless.

Fast-forward to the following October: I get my amp back, finally, and my fx. I gave him his fretless back but the gig bag ripped. I offered to sew it, or replace, and he told me not to worry about it. He said my bass had a bow in the neck and his friend, who works at a local guitar store, would fix it for cheap.

We talk about bass stuff on FB for awhile and then I noticed his FB was gone. I thought he deleted it but it turns out he blocked me. Now I've been calling and texting trying to figure out what the story is with my guitar and he won't answer. I send him a message on TB, and he's logged on since, and he won't answer.

He lives on Staten Island with me but I'm not sure where. What recourse do I have at this point? I know the tech he's talking about and I know what bands he's in (no shows coming up though to hassle him)

What would you do?

2. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

Jul 2, 2007
    Colorado
    Goto the tech.

3. Honestly? Find out where he lives and drop by. Take a few threatening looking friends with you.

4. Wow, OT has almost completely made me lose faith in humanity
    Hit up the tech. If he'd never heard of it, go to the law.
    Did you ever notice any flaws with the neck before you lent it to him? I kinda got a feeling that something else may have happened and he was just trying to stall you for awhile.

5. ?

6. Suggesting the possibility something happened to the bass that was worse than neck twist, and the guy said he was getting it repaired to throw GE off the trail for a bit. Further suggesting that bass never got to the Tech, and that its a giant shenanigan, though I hope I'm wrong.
    Lack of faith stems from all the stories that have been popping up about people getting ripped off.

Sorry, clarified? I'm tired as hell waiting for new South Park episode to pop up online, but I must watch it!

7. You loaned a guy you barely knew valuable equipment, and you don't know where he lives? You are WAAAAAAYYYY too trusting. I admire your heart and belief in your fellow bassist, but I'd temper my generousity with a dose of self (and equipment) preservation. Good luck, I hope you get your stuff back.

8. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I'll be calling up the shop sometime today. Last I checked, Univoxes weren't particularly valuable. I know the Univox had the world's worst cut nut of all time and was unplayable in the higher registers.

As for the guy, yeah, it was stupid but he has positive feedback in the classifieds and, as I said, I knew all the people from the bands he was in. Staten Island is a small place. I know what neighborhood he's in as well, so now I guess its time to start flipping through the yellow pages.

EDIT: At this point, I don't even care if the thing doesn't work either. I just want my equipment back, even if it turns into an art project. It just frustrates me to hell that he is the way he is. The user is TheBasicBassist as I know he knows several NY TBers in person. Maybe one of them will see it. :rolleyes:

9. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    This is why I don't lend gear unless I'm with the person using it while they're using it. Hope it works out for ya.