Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Talkbass vs Firefox

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vorago, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Alright, I was wondering if anyone here using Firefox has the same problem.
    There seems to be some things wrong with the pages I visit, because my avatar has disappeared and been replaced by a "smug" smiley, my supporting membershiplogo is on the other side and on every post, I see on the low right a picture of an old motorcycle. Occasionally, there is a huge space between a member's name and his post, but this seems to have gone away.

Does this have to do with Firefox? I heard that some pages are designed for IE, and Firefox can cause some trouble..

(No, I'm not switching back to IE, Firefox pwns IE everyday!)

I already posted it in the Bug section, but since no-one replied..

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=189671

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    lol,

i've been having the same problems, but alot of times, i'll have other people's avatars show up as a smiley. i.e. Tombowlus' icon was the smug smiley.

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I use Firefox and everything looks normal to me. Never had the smug smiley or anything and I always see my avatar. I'm on the latest version and every version has been fine for me with TB.

brad cook

4. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    @Joker; Do you use Firefox too?

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    what he said.... I'm on here more than I'm asleep and not had an issue in Firefox

6. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    hmm, strange, I'll re-install Firefox and see what happens.

7. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    there is some reduced functionality with the Firefox browser. Kind of the price you pay for the extra speed and security.

There are plug-in you can down load to address that at the cost of speed and security. It depends a lot on the options you chose on the install as to exactly how bad it can be. Theres a LOT of things that don't work on mine. No Java, no activeX...no lots of stuff that can be explioted.

I use Firefox as my default browser and it's locked down hard. I also will use IE if there is some content that I just gotta, gotta see.

8. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
    I too use Firefox and have no problems. Do you have an extention that blocks image files and such? It might be something along that lines. It blocks your avatars because they think they're ads or something...

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    first try:

tools -> options -> security -> cache -> hit "Clear"

you might have a corrupt file cached

10. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I just re-installed and everything seems to be back ok.

We'll see how things develop.

11. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Likewise, no FF problems here... and Ctrl-clicking links to open them in new tabs makes keeping up to date easy!

Wulf

12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    or just center click with the mouse wheel :bassist:

13. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I agree with this. Flash doesn't work for me on Firefox. So, if I really have to view a flash file, I'll open IE. (Then of course, seek shelter and cover my head).

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yes.

15. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Flash works fine for me... the only thing I use IE for these days is www.launch.com they don't see Firefox as a current enough version (at least a monmth ago when I tried ff there last).

16. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    I have Firefox, no problems for me, including flash.

You don't want to go back to ie, don't you ?? :scowl:

17. I'm using Firefox at work and home. No problems. Flash OK too. I do have a problem with .pdf files though (only at work - home is fine).

18. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I use Firefox and everything is fine.

19. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    firefox works great with me for the most part...

the only 2 sites it doesn't work well with is

1) a site that shows you how to turn your Doberman in to a Poodle (works fine at work, Brad)....

2) tvguide.com - can't click on the shows to see their description....

20. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

When I first started using Firefox I had a couple of very minor problems here @TB, most notably that the response textbox (what I'm typing into now) was only a 20 or so characters wide. But for many months now, I've had no issues with Firefox here @TB or with Flash.