TalkBass, What Is The Best Amp You've Ever Played Through?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Silas Caldwell, Jun 9, 2021.

1. madmaskbass

madmaskbass

Apr 29, 2008
    Australia
    My amp right now and I have played through many...Demeter Vtb201s, Crown 1502, Mesa Powerhouse 8x10.

2. detoxxx

detoxxx Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Devon Guitars, Empire Ears, Reunion Blues, Pig Hog Cables
    EBS HD350. Love that sound.

Barry Vestal likes this.
  3. Vintage:
    Fender Bassman 100 into 2x EV TL606
    Fender Studio Bass into 2x EV TL606
    Everyday workhorse:
    GK800RB into Bergantino CN410
    View attachment 4298364

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The first year that Aguilar offered their tube preamp and tube power amp pair (no cabs yet) I got to play through one. I was at a festival and met the bassist for another band who was an Aguilar endorser/clinician. He asked if he could borrow my EAW 1-15 cabinet and offered to let me use his amp for my set in return. I know aural memory is poor, but I remember it sounded pretty incredible at the time.

Aguilar stopped making these many years ago. Between the weight and price, it was never going to be something I could afford to use.

ev3zdbkty8glkhzuyjgf.jpg

Rockbobmel, kevk, 31HZ and 2 others like this.
  5. TrevorR

TrevorR

Oct 3, 2015
    Near London, UK
    Trace Elliott Series 6 AH500 + two Trace Elliott 4x10s. It was the bass backline for the Big Top stage at a festival I played at in the early 1990s. Lovely punchy tone!

6. Tom Kinter

Tom Kinter Supporting Member

For its point of arrival early in the compressed time-space continuum of Electric Bass, yeah, the Ampeg B15... I still remember being just blown away the first time I heard one - this around late '66 at a dance in Big flats, NY... Was this guy Gary who was way better than me, and a year or two older... wish I could recall his surname, but his band was the Epics. I even took a couple of lessons from him. Anyway, at the time I had a measly Silvertone, but I had played through Bassmans, Voxes and Guild bass amps, but that glowing, throbbing B15 at that time was just from another planet.

inthevelvet likes this.
  7. inthevelvet

inthevelvet Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2012
    Washington DC
    Ampeg b15.
    On a more practical level, Mesa wd-800.

Coot likes this.
  8. Florinda4

Florinda4 The old man down the road... Supporting Member

BG: David Eden WT800 w/ two GK 410RBs. Downsized a few years back to a DE WT300 with just one GK410RB.
    URB: GK MB150S/112

9. Lava

Lava Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2014
    El Paso, TX
    Eden WT550 w/210XST x 2
    Sounds so good but the whole rig is just too heavy to lug around by today's standard.

10. asparaguspee

asparaguspee

Sep 10, 2020
    Australia
    Fender rumble... lol

11. The 1976 SVT in my avatar, which I am actually about to reassemble since I just finished putting new tolex on it :hyper:

12. DrThumpenstein

DrThumpenstein Living for the groove Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    St Louis, MO
    I answered the original question earlier, but I noticed a lot of responses were about the best rig they’ve ever played, and I just played the best bass to cab rig I’ve ever played last night at band practice. I posted this on the Subway thread last night and I think it pertains to this thread so I’ll re-post here:

We practice at a studio in the drummer’s house, and he has an old Ampeg 215 that I usually use. That cab is a monster. It’s plenty loud and the WD can get punch out of it, but it is darker than I like. I really prefer the tone of the SW115. It’s plenty of cab for practice and probably for all the venues that we’re likely to play. So up until tonight, I’d usually use his cab and just take the 115 once in a while because, well, you know.

But tonight I hooked them both up and got my 3X15 on. Whoa daddy! That’s definitely the most powerful and impressive rig I’ve ever played. The Subway cab is more sensitive so it really led the way, but the Ampeg added thickness and heft that just a single driver can’t. The definition and presence of the SW115 dominated, and the WD pushed those cabs so powerfully, it was inspiring. I played my Fodera and it was best tone that I’ve ever had. Full and rich and fat with just the right amount of breakup when I would dig in.

My guitarist plays a Headrush board through the matching 2000 W 112 FRFR cab so we decided to get loud and let ‘em eat for a song or 2. The WD never broke a sweat driving those cabs. It was stupid loud but I never pushed the master past 2:00 so there was still a ton of headroom.

The WD keeps impressing me with its range of talents. My band mates took turns playing my bass, they just wanted to feel the power. That was as much fun playing as I’ve had for a while!

smogg and DTRN like this.
  13. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    Australia
    Mesa Bass 400+ and 8x10” cab. I was floored but couldn’t afford either at the time.

smogg, shadven and DrThumpenstein like this.
  14. Back in the 70s I played through one of the old (even at that time) 40-watt Bassman tube heads--the one with the white knobs and the presence control on the right with a pair of 6L6s for power tubes--coupled with an Electrovoice folded horn cab with a single JBL D140 in it. Best tone I've ever gotten, though only 40 watts. I later played through a GK 400RB that was a surprisingly close second and had the wattage I needed at the time.

15. shadven

shadven Twang-tastic Bass Player and Song Writer Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I rock, therefore I am.
    There’s 3:

3. Acoustic 360/361 - unique tone, very good medium to large stage rig. I love the sound of this amp. Mine is from the early 1970s.

2. Ampeg SVT VR with Ampeg 810 AV.

1. My absolute favorite is a 1971 Ampeg V4B with the matching V4B cabinet (2x15” folded horn). Best tone I’ve ever heard. Plenty loud enough for ant situation. But, the cabinet is enormous and heavy. It looks like a typical Ampeg fridge but it’s about 5 inches deeper and weights 50 lbs more.

The best bass setup in the world would be running both #1 and #2!!! You would need a HPF to make it really sing.

I own all three of those rigs. Gloriously impractical these days, but I can’t let them go.

DrThumpenstein likes this.
  16. milesdavisblue

milesdavisblue Supporting Member

May 4, 2007
    Washington State
    GK fusion 550 with GK 212 Neo just perfect with any mix.

DrThumpenstein likes this.
  17. shadven

Dec 30, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I rock, therefore I am.
    Ampeg for the win!

18. Verellen Meatsmoke into a Mesa Diesel 2x15. No competition for me.

19. shadven

Dec 30, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I rock, therefore I am.
    maxschrek likes this.
  20. nightchef

nightchef

Feb 4, 2005
    Boston
    Easily the best for me was a B15, not sure of the vintage but it looked pretty old. That tone -- round and solid and warm and articulate -- is what I had always dreamed of, and I've never topped it.

Close 2nd: a 70s Acoustic rig, not sure of the details but this looks like the head I remember:

img_0127-jpg.jpg

The Acoustic didn't have quite the warmth of the B15 but it had a fantastic clarity and smoothness.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021