TalkBass, What Is The Best Amp You've Ever Played Through?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Silas Caldwell, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Hard to say, but my Genz Benz Shuttlemax 9.2 into my fEarful 15/6 is definitely delightful. Same with the Streamliner 900. My Mess D800+ sounds good with that cab but have not played it live yet. Cab also sounds sweet with a Quilter BB800.

I have enjoyed some great tube amps that were back line, in particular Ampeg
    SVT II and Mesa 400+.

At Victor Wooten’s Bass and Nature camp they had a really sweet TecAmp rig, with TecAmp cabinets, I can’t remember if it was a 410 and 115 or two 410s, but everyone else went for the Ampegs and Hartkes and such and I always got to use the TecAmp, which I really enjoyed.

My old Eden Metro was no slouch, as long as I had an extension cabinet to add to it, it sounded really good on a Genz Benz UB212T cabinet. I did one gig with two extension cabinets, the GB UB212 and an Eden D112Xlt, running at 2 ohms. That was epic.

31HZ likes this.
  2. Ellery

Ellery

Mar 25, 2015
    You are very observant. :thumbsup: I believe by Mesa's spec it's 130 lbs. The scars are from me guiding it through the same narrow doorway repeatedly. It has dolly wheels, slide rails, and deep set top and side handles. The handles are in just the right spot, I can actually lift it up myself and slide it into the backseat of my compact sedan without breaking my back, more of a balancing act than a brute force thing. So when it is needed, I really have no excuse! But seriously this thing is a beast, that master volume never gets above 11 o'clock before I'm drowning out the rest of the band! :bassist::hyper:

mikewalker and Drummerboy2 like this.
  3. I have played some cool amps (mostly backline, like the Aguilar DB751, Ampeg SVT, Fender bassman...) but I've always been comfortable with an Ashdown ABM paired with an ABM 4x10 cab.

4. Ampslut

Ampslut Supporting Member

May 15, 2017
    Alembic F1X->QSC USA 850, Bi-Amped -> Hartke 4.5XL + Hartke 1x15XL. It had such an rich, effortless tone. I eventually ended using the 4.5 alone with the F1X and a smaller power amp. The 4.5XL is by far one of the best cabs I've owned.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    mikewalker likes this.
  5. Fernando Costa

Fernando Costa

Aug 4, 2013
    Lisbon
    Well, I like common equipment. I really liked an Ampeg 3 Pro + 610 cab, I currently have a Mesa D800+ and a 112 cabinet subway with horn, and I've had a Roland 120XL combo, a really lovely combo that's not much talked about.

6. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Hard toss up between my 70s V4B / 6-10 cab,. . and a Mesa 400+ with matching 2-15

I have a pile of nice class D amps now, but I think my next amp will be the 100w tube Traynor :woot:

Coot likes this.
  7. Always and forever. Mesa M9 Carbine.
    IMG_20190311_214927.jpg

8. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    Same
    Had the opportunity to use an SVT 8x10 rig as backline once, did not prefer it to the Genz.

Mastermold and darren1970 like this.
  9. Bobbadfinger

Bobbadfinger

Jan 23, 2020
    Brazil
    This. Pretty different from my Classic.

SVT tube chart.jpg

mikewalker likes this.
  10. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Great thread. As much as I love my amps, I always feel like those amps you get as a back line always sound the best. But maybe it’s the FOH getting the mix right. From my memory, none of them stood out as the best amp I’ve ever played through though.

basspipe likes this.
  11. marchone

marchone Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    I forgot Acoustic.

12. JacklegBass

JacklegBass

Jul 4, 2004
    When I played in hard rock bands in the mid-70s the sound and tone of my two Acoustic 370/301 stacks were heavenly bliss, but I have to say the best I ever played through was what came after:

• Furman PQ3 Parametric EQ (greenface)
    • BGW 750B
    • Single or double 2x15 cabinets made from EV plans loaded with SROs.

^^^ Nothing ever topped this for me. Once I mastered the PQ3 I could literally get any tone I could dream up and the BGW really took it up a notch over the Peavey CS-800 I tried for a short time before that.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    mikewalker likes this.
  13. Verb the Noun

Verb the Noun

Aug 1, 2018
    San Diego
    Up till a couple months ago my answer would have been the Trace Elliot V-type full stack I had back in the 90s.

Now, my Mesa D800 on top of a Mesa 2x15 is about perfect.

IMG_20210416_125653529.jpg

mikewalker and DrThumpenstein like this.
  14. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    Mesa 400/400+ with the Master cranked and Sansamp BDDI blended in the FX loop at Line level (keeps front end clean and pushes power section more).

03&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=LbwFr6VRtr0AX-IIzyk&tn=L5_oQCZOfgHG8lKt&_nc_ht=scontent-den4-1.jpg

aus_bass, mikewalker and Ellery like this.
  15. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    My bass into a Plush tuck n roll guitar amp w matching 2×15 cab.

As much as I love my Genz Benz Shuttle 6.2 and Streamliner 900 Class D hybrids, overall ampage that takes the cake at the loudest volume settings are somehow directly related to tubes and weight, and how badly you wish you had a roadie to move that sucker.

Close enough to tie with the Plush and an honorable mention comes both Ampeg's SVT and V4B, respectively, atop an 8×10 cab.

mikewalker and shadven like this.
  16. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    Probably
    GK 800RB biamp head/ pair of EV 1-15 cabs for bass and Traynor 2-10 cab for highs.
    That was many many Years ago.
    Nowadays I’m enjoying playing a late ‘70s Fender Bassman 135 tube head into a similar vintage Fender Stereo 4-12” cab.
    3F98570B-E075-430C-AF54-46FCC466C6DA.jpeg 75FE7EE0-59B7-4365-BDE3-F69AEC8FC3AA.jpeg

mikewalker and Coot like this.
  17. rufus.K

rufus.K Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    TL;DR

Must have been many already saying the Gorilla GB-30.

Attached Files:

18. LowWay

LowWay It’s got 4 strings ‘cause they’re bigger! Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2009
    W Mass
    7AF34D98-9E93-4A4C-BBED-3CD453AC7FD6.jpeg

bucephylus and rmayer like this.
  19. rmayer

rmayer Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Boynton Beach, FL
    One like this stack. A Sadowsky SA200 all tube amp and a Sadowsky SA410 cabinet. The one I played through was (and probably still is) in Roger's showroom. The sweetest sounding amp I've ever heard.
    sadowsky SA200:SA410.jpeg
    A close second is my current setup, a Bergantino Forte D with two HD 112s.

aus_bass likes this.
  20. Chad Michael

Chad Michael Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2001
    Pacific Northwest USA
    in a music store: old school GK 400 RB / Hartke 115XL
    provided backline: Ampeg SVT / Fridge (810)
    my own: Eden WT-600 with freckle faced SWR Goliath III 410

All 3 are likely no longer trendy ... that is ok. They put the sound in my head into the air and there is value in that....

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021