Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Talkbass... where I go for all my computer problems...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Till, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    It's strange but true.

Ok, this is really weird. My computer turns itself off after about 15-30 minutes. No warning, no "Windows is now shutting down"... just blink... gone.

I checked my power saving features, and it was set to "turn the hard drive off after 25 minutes." I figured... this must be it... I switched it to "never"... 10 minutes later... blink... off.

I can get into safe mode and tool around... and it seems to stay on in there, so I don't think it's a question of overheating as my girlfriend suggested... plus it would take longer than a half hour to overheat.

Ideas?

2. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Sounds like some sort of spyware or virus. You'll have to virus scan it, I'd recommend in safe mode, since that should give you more time. Other than that, I'd recommend you perhaps take it to a computer tech. But that'll be expensive

3. It still could be an overheating problem.

Check to see if the fan on your processor is still running. If it is not, the puter will shut itself down if it exceeds a certain temp.

4. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Maybe it's the three profiles on myspace that you entertain yourself with. :eyebrow:

Oog :D

5. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

+1. I recently had to change my computer case for a bigger one, with more fans, and replace the processor because it had blackened and the tech advised me to replace it since that's the first step to massive damage (motherboard included). The problem was discovered because my PC was restarting so often with no apparent reason. Now it works like a charm. BTW, here's a picture of my CPU. It looks like the front of a BMW.

[​IMG]

6. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Computers are for nerds.

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    It looks like one of those double-decker buses to me.

brad cook

8. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

:D :D

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    This is weird... it was Limewire...

I noticed though I had it disabled during startup... it would start during start up anyway. And even though I'd close it, it would open like 3 more times before closing. I didn't think anything of it, it was just a pain... so I went into safe mode... deleted it... now everything is fine like wine.

Weird. Is it because I had the older version... or did the government finally find me. :ninja:

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Wait so you mean it's great like a fine, aged shiraz or it's just fine like "Well, that chard in a box is fine if that's all you've got"?

bad cook

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Trust me... this computer is boxed wine... second hand boxed wine... nothing more. It's what I've got.