TalkBassists Profiles III: JOHN DEACON

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Harry Lime, Nov 23, 2001.

1. I always thought of Queen as Freddy Mercury's band that wrote "Another One Bites The Dust" ,etc. But when my instructor got me into some of their songs ("Youre My best friend" , "Somebody To Love" ,etc) I was just blown away. He's probably my favorite bassist today,but that changes often,so..;)

Good thread,Great bassist.

2. Woolworths is offering the Live at the bowl and Wembley live Queen DVD's for £8.97 each- which one is better?

3. Live at the Bowl is taken from the Hot Space tour I believe and much of the set is biased toward songs from that album...
    The Wembley one has a more general 'greatest hits' kind of flavour.

If it has to be one I'd say go for the Wembley set, it just feels more satisfying to me.

4. ta. I read the reviews on Amazon and bought Live at wembley today.
    haven't watched all of it but Deacon seems to use a pick for most of it, surprisingly.

5. ps. am I right in thinking that on "now I'm here" on live at wembley, Deacon hits a glaring wrong note at the beginning (IIRC B when it should be A)?
    mind you, can't blame him for nerves given the size of the venue + crowd.

6. Shoka42

Shoka42

Jul 19, 2003
    england
    I love Deacon, his lines are superb, and you don't notice many of them until you listen, but boy when you do; they are bloody brilliant!

I am learning Bycicle Race at the moment, absolutely brilliant song and a completely wonderful bassist!

7. I'll chime in and add that John Deacon was an early influence on me and my playing. his tone, feel, and the way he played to the song were always top notch. he never showed off but I always felt and heard his lines... even in the years before I started playing!

one of the greats and one of the continually underrated!

from the lows,

Stew

8. BIG MONTANA

BIG MONTANA

Apr 21, 2005
    north dakota
    I think that its a shame that Queen is going on tour and Deacon isn't joining in on the reunion. It won't be the same without him. But I do see where he is coming from.

9. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    I started listening to Queen from thier first album. Listen to his tone in the song "Liar" - one of my favorite Queen tracks. "Ogre Battle" on Queen II is amazing. "Stone Cold Crazy" and "Killer Queen" are incredible tracks from Sheer Heat Attack. I had the privilege of seeing them on thier early tours when they were still considered underground. Everyone thought I was nuts litening to these guys, and then A Day at the Races broke them out huge. As musicians, every single one of them were and are underrated! Incredible arrangements and writing, phenomenal players, and absolutely huge harmonies. This was a band that never got stuck in any rut. They constantly evolved, grew, and broke new gorund. These guys were successful on their own terms, and didn't follow trends - they set them, and stood the world on its collective ear.

John Deacon's (or Deacon John, as he was called on the first record) playing was just incredible and underappreciated. He played melody pieces that grooved, and fit perfectly with the material. It's great that this thread was started in this community for the old farts like me, and for the youngsters to gain appreciation for one of rock's great unsung heros.

10. Sneckumhaw

Sneckumhaw

Apr 26, 2006
    Earth
    Actually Roger Taylor wrote that song. I think I read somewhere that Freddie came up with that tune's bassline!

BTW I love love love John Deacon.

11. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    John Deacon was a brilliant bass player - played BASS but it was beyond melodic, it was just right.

12. Moving Pictures

Moving Pictures Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Canada
    Definitely one of the most tasteful bass players out there. I loved his stuff from very early on. I really like watching he Wembley concert. He is just stunning on that one.

13. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    I'm going slitghtly mad has a wonderfull bass part. In general, the awesomeness of queen comes from the fact that they were able to play and create all sorts of music and didn't stick to one genre.
    John Deacon is way up there with the alltimegreats imo.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 29, 2021