Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TalkBassists Profiles V: KATHY VALENTINE

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Harry Lime, Feb 9, 2002.

1. I've chosen Kathy Valentine, the bassist for The Go-Go's. I hope I haven't made a bad choice here, because I've never seen her mentioned. And it seems that most of the bassists that ever get discussed about are all males. So I decided to seek a profile on Ms. Valentine! Besides, it's almost Valentine's Day!

The bassline in 'Our Lips Are Sealed' is so good isn't it? That little solo in 'Head Over Heels' is really good too, along with the bassline in it. 'Cool Jerk' is a good one; although it is a cover. So what do you think?

2. "head over heels" sounds like a pretty standard walking line IMHO, but "our lips are sealed" has a great bassline- especially the high register bit in the middle eight.
    nice chunky P bass tone too.

on another note, was it sessioner/Bon Jovi ghost member Hugh McDonald who played on Belinda Carlisle's solo single "Heaven is a place on earth"?
    -as its bassline in the chorus sounds like a recycling of the bassline on Bon Jovi's "Livin' on a prayer".

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...she's a guitarist from the Keith Richards' school(Keith's the man as far as raw, Rock rhythm guitar).
    So, she takes up bass as a matter of necessity(?), I guess.
    One comment she made on one of those '80s VH-1 type "Behind The Scenes" shows made me chuckle-
    She said something to the effect that she likes 'almost any type music, except Jazz Fusion...that sounds like noise".

Sorry, she lost me on that one!

Obviously, I'm no fan...of her tone, her note choice, her musical preferences, her 'groove-ability', blahblah, etc.
    Sorry, it's a boring Sunday as I await the Olympics on TV... ;)

4. I probably shoulda chose Tina Weymouth...if I was trying to think up a female bass player and profiled her instead. This is my first Profiling that didn't attract too much attention.

Jimk:

What do you mean, "the Keith Richards school"? Isn't Keitih known as a great guitarist? I mean, he created some of the greatest rock 'n' roll riffs ever. I don't understand.

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Right, that's what I'm sayin'.
    Keith created the school/language...the rest are just disciples! ;)

I am a little surprised at the lack of attention given this thread...I guess "If you have nothing 'good' to say, don't say anything at all" applies(?).

A female Rock bassist that gets overlooked is Share Pederson...she seems to know her stuff.

6. What band is she in?

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...she used to be in Vixen.
    There I said it! ;)
    In any event, I do recall reading her comments in a Blindfold Test; she seemed very into "the music"(& not the biz/glamour side). I have no idea what's she up to nowadays...

8. Never heard of 'em. Any particular song you'd recommend me to download of theirs?

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Harry-
    I would WATCH their videos on MTV...didn't really listen to 'em, if ya catch my drift. ;)
    They were all hotties with hair moused up to the Moon.

Lump probably has their records.

Anyway-
    The only tune I can recall is "Edge Of A Broken Heart"...

10. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    HEY NOW!

They're cassette tapes. :D

Never saw Vixen, but I actually saw the Go-Go's at Anaheim stadium in 1984, I think. They and Madness opened for David Bowie on the "Serious Moonlight" tour. The girls pretty much stank, especially when put up against Madness and Bowie's band (even without SRV). And Belinda Carlisle was still packin' the baby fat. ;)

And hey Jim, and here's the reason for the late response:

http://talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=41456

11. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I had their cassette and that's the only song I can remember. I did get an "autographed" pic of them once, from their fanclub.

Man, I was a geek.

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Geek Alert!
    On a tangent, anyone see Jane Weidlen(sp) of The Go-Gos on Comedy Central's Beat The Geeks last night?
    ...the "Music Geek"(actually that should be the "ROCK Music Geek" 'cause I ain't heard nuthin' but Rock music questions in this game show)blew it when he couldn't name TWO of her solo album titles.
    Busted! ;)

13. She is the kind of bassist many in this forum would hate because she played guitar until the bass position opened up with the Go-Go's... and she plays with a pick.

SO WHAT??? DISAGREE WITH ME BUT HER BASSLINES ARE WAY TOO PUNCHY, TOO COOL, TOO SOLID!!!!! SHE IS ONE OF MY FAVES!!!

MOST GO-GO SONGS HAVE A LOUD VERY PRESENT AND VERY CATCHY BASSLINE...

Besides "Our Lips..." and "Head over Heels", also check out "TURN TO YOU" (bridge especially)... and "WE'VE GOT THE BEAT"...ETC., ETC. ... heck, even "VACATION"...

SIMPLICITY WORKS!

(OK, so it HELPS she chose a FENDER P-BASS! Good choice dontcha think?)

That singer from Scandal married now to John McEnroe said the music made by the Go-Go's makes you jump all over the place... well I do and largely due to Kathy!

Nice, Harry!

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Attacking these in reverse order('cause I feel as though NWB just lobbed a cannonball thru my sails)- :D

-I don't really care what makes Patty Smyth(sp?) "jump all over the place". Right now, I'm listening to Fred Anderson & Hamid Drake goin' off...that makes me 'jump all over the place"!

-I used to see Valentine use a StingRay bass(videos + LIVE concert footage).

-"SIMPLICITY WORKS"
    How 'bout these apples...
    "If Less is more, then just think how much more More will be".
    -Frasier Crane

:D

15. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Nothing wrong with your choice at all, IMO, Harry.

Explanation - Two major facets of this business are;

1. The music (which includes technique/skill)
    2. The performance (which includes "the show")

So, IMHO, where she may not have a lot to offer in terms of "the music," I think we might learn something from her about "the performance."

Plus, having been on the road myself at one time, I admire anyone who can always get up for the performance and do the job every night without fail. Unless one has done 7 shows in 7 nights, (and more), it's hard to appreciate someone who has been where she has.

But I don't think I'd ask her about how James Jamerson influenced her playing.

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Yeah, & from I've read/heard, those gals had quite a bit of help. ;)
    Too, how "consistent" vs. "improvised" was a Go-Go's concert anyway? It's moot, but I'm speculating that "We Got The Beat" was probably played verbatim from the record on any given night.
    So, you see, auto-pilot kicks in...basically, I'm whelmed. ;)

FWIW-
    I used to gig in a house band(sometimes 7 nights a week, 9p.m.-1:30a.m.)WHILE holding down a day job(6:30 a.m-3:30p.m.)...NO DRUGS, either.
    It's no wonder I'm so tired still. ;)

17. Yo K-man:

Now don't get me wrong, dude. You have a right to dislike her and actually you were quite respectful and explained yourself well.

I still love Go-Go's songs though... I can't help but like their songs... maybe it's just the P-bass tone (or Thunderbird or else) rather than who plays bass... dunno... I'm a P-bass freako... but you have to give Kathy at least a little credit... a little...

Besides... Hoppus or Valentine??? ahem ahem...

As for playing live, let's not forget that these girls got stoned every freakin' night, so no wonder they would struggle live.

BTW remember on the VH1 program an old photo of Charlotte McCaffey playing a Rick???

18. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I should have elaborated, Jim. I should have mentioned "7 shows, 7 nights, 7 cities."

Plus, people are paying for some showmanship added in. Unless you're in the Jackson 5, just going through the motions won't cut it....(not to infer that she had some kind of dynamic stage presence).

As for the "help", that was hardly unique to them.

But maybe she could talk about subjects like the days when record labels treated their artists better than $5 whores. :rolleyes:

19. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Fair enough, guys... ;)

Regarding 'showmanship'-
    I realize I'm in the minority. For me, the MUSIC has gotta come first. Maybe that's 'cause most of what I listen to is on the "Jazz" side of the fence(everyone can't be a Sun Ra or The Art Ensemble Of Chicago). ;)
    Certain "Rock" bands I recall seeing-
    Chicago, Edgar Winter Group, Doobies...came out & took care of business w/ no real show attached.
    The Dave Matthews Band was pretty popular around here prior to their MTV days...IMO, they were about the music & the people responded.

These "SHOW comes first" acts(Madonna, Cher, Janet Jackson, a host of New Country acts, etc)are NOT for me...they can stick to Vegas. IMO, they're the ones "going thru the motions". Their shows are, IMO, too rehearsed, too choreographed, & too calculated.
    Really, I'd rather hear some kids in the garage pounding it out.

NWB-
    You're a P-bass freak-a-zoid?
    I'm in the process of re-doing my '64 P...what sorta replacement pickup would you suggest(I'm leaning towards the one of the Basslines replacement pickups).
    ...BTW, if I could somehow remember where I safely hid the original pickup(back in '84), I wouldn't be askin'! DOH! ;)