Talkbox for bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pete_the_beat, Jun 9, 2002.

1. Well Talkbox for bass. Does anyone know if this is possible. I think the idea is good but i'm afraid it would cut some of the low signals and a bit of the low middle. Hope there is someone out there who can help me.
    Thanks in advance.
  2. I used an electrix vocoder for a while with my bass and a mic... it got some pretty crazy voice molding sounds.
  3. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    I tried to make one once but it didn't turn out very well. The secret to the talk box is that it uses a compression driver (like you find on high frequency horns), and since most of them have a low freq. rolloff point around 500Hz they don't do bass very well. And they are powered by the speaker output of the guitar amp (usually 50 watts or so) so most bass amps are way too powerful to drive them. The vocorder idea I think would be a good alternative though.
    You got me started thinking about how to do it again. Hmmm...I wonder?
  4. I use a Dean Markley Talkbox 100 and push it with a GK ML S 100 watt guitar amp with a Shure SM-57 and it works just fine. I don't rely on the Talkbox to give me low end I use a bass amp for that and use the Talkbox for efx. Most bass amps are way too powerful for a talkbox but guitar amps work fine.
  5. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    Maybe you could try splitting your signal into a regular bass rig and a guitar amp with a talkbox? Im sure there are plenty of ways to do this.

But then again, would you really need to?
  6. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I saw a guy use a talkbox with his bass once.. it was a pretty cool sound..

If you are having trouble using a talkbox.. maybe you aren't matching pitch with your bass....