Talked to Mesa the other day.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TONYTHOMAS1956, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Had a talk with Mesa Hollywood the other day about tubes and was told I could use any color code of their tubes and it would work,(as long as they were the same color). So has amyone have any thoughts or any experience on this?
    My 400+ has the green code and was thinking of going up one grade to the blue code for a little warmer sound or should I go for the max(red).

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I think you should have adjustable bias controls installed, then you can use the same set of tubes until they blow just by having them rebiased every year or so. Mesa's fixed bias and "grading" system is just a way to get people to buy Mesa tubes way more often than they need to.

3. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI

How much does this surgery cost?

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Got no clue, quite honestly, but I guarantee it's way cheaper than buying 12 6L6's every year.

5. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    It's about a hundred bucks, plus a set of tubes if you need it.

Ish. That's what my shop quoted me - 1.5-2.5 hours of bench time (so 100-150 or some odd)>

6. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    My tech has instaled adjustable bias in serveral Mesa's including my 400+ pictured below. He's a friend so he usually doesn't charge me much but I got the felling it would only take a component tech an hours bench time and the parts were only like $20. If your amps due for a general checkup/servicing too, probably figure in another hours labor for that.

(Its the little board with the 2 blue trim pots/4 resisters located near the center of this pic, he mounted it with a pre existing screw hole so its a fully reversible mod if ever desired)

153_5398.jpg

7. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    But I don't know why you'd need to change your 6L6's every year.

8. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    That's the general rule of thumb on all tube amps...change tubes once a year.

9. spoken like a true salesman

10. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Indeed. :rolleyes:

Imo, the amp's sound comes back to life when you put new tubes in it. Takes between a year or two for the tubes to start sounding like crap.

11. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Over 30 years for 2 of mine, still going strong. Anyone who wants to send me their "junk" 1 year old tubes, I'll gladly pay shipping.

12. Im sure these are gone. Some of the welding on the plates have bowed and blows fuses at random. Plus I did some research and the tubes are the STR 430's which Mesa says they havent used since 05 and the date of the amp was in 03 according to Mesa.

Sadley, Ive stopped using the 400+ and using my STV Pro III(still sounding great after 10 years) till I can replace tubes.

13. EUROTUBES boys & girls!

I used them on my Mesa 400+ & 400 when I owned them. The difference is unbelievable....Mesa wants you to buy their overpriced tubes. Most of the tubes come from the same place anyhow....you're paying for the Mesa stamp.

Anyhow, here's a shout out for Bob Pletka @ Eurotubes

www.eurotubes.com

Your Mesa will never sound any better than with Bob's tubes. Highly recommend them.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    At which point you have them rebiased and they sound great again until the next time they need rebiased. And I'll take anyone's 1 year old tubes too, and I'll pay shipping + $1 ;)

15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    That was my point.

16. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    I'm sure :rolleyes:. Take some clips of the old tube sound and then another clip of new tube sound and try to get out of this one :ninja:

17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Sorry, just plain not true. But hey, it's your money to waste however you want.

18. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    I've had amps with 10-20 year old tubes in them, fully functional, and then I had them retubed and everything sounded amazingly better. I guess my personal experience is different from some others...:cool:

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Yeah, but fully functional doesn't mean your previous tubes were good. I've had tubes that work in the amp but test bad so it's very possible you had a couple bad ones along the way. The point is that there's no blanket statements you can make about tubes. Replacing old tubes just because they're old isn't always going to make a change in the tone for the better. It did in your case, but it may not in other cases.

20. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science!

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    ?!?!

What? That's crazy talk! There's absolutely no reason to swap out your tubes every year! Where did you learn this sage advice?

You are being facetious, right?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021