Talked to Mesa the other day.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TONYTHOMAS1956, Feb 15, 2009.

1. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    No, I get the impression he was completely serious. FWIW I've never heard a single amp tech say that--only tube sellers.

2. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Whatever you guys say. If you rarely use your tube amp, then sure- keep them in there for 30 years. Use it everyday for 1-2hours and you may have different results.

3. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I've never heard that either. :confused: Not even when I used to got straight to the Mesa outlet in hollywood and chat with the boys there.

Am I supposed to change my flatwounds every year too? :eyebrow:

4. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    WHAT!??!?!?! i bought my 400+ brand new four years ago and havn't changed a single power-amp tube. you've used mostly a solid state gk i'm guessing through the history of your rig. i may be wrong so correct me if i am. but that sound's like simple sales talk right there.

5. In Absentia

In Absentia

Jul 5, 2008
    Is that in the training literature for GC? I've used tubes for years before replacing 'em. I replace the preamp tubes about every 1-2 years, but I've never changed a power tube in an amp.

6. You know what they say..............

A fool and his money are soon parted !

7. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    No it's my experience with tubes. I had a Peavey Classic 100 for a couple of years. It was a 1976 guitar amp which had the orginal tubes in it. They sounded great for about 2 years. I changed them and it sounded even better than before!

Hmm..Gotta think of another way to put up on my profession line: "I do not gain my knowledge from GC, I gain it from experience, personal mistakes, and others."

Now proceed with the thread. What a derail.

8. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    well not to poke fun....but if you've used a SS amp most of the time, get washed away with GC rules (or whatever people just simply tell you), think that an optimum sound is just by replacing tubes.....then o well.

hell if i retubed my 400+ every year then i'd say **** this. i'm going down the hybrid or SS route.

9. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science!

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    :eyebrow: How about 200+ shows a year for 3 years with the same tubes? (just one example from personal experience)

How long do the tubes last in your tube amp? If it's only a year, there is likely something wrong with your tubes and/or amp!

Your 1 year vs 30 year argument is a little weak, too... There is a lot of time in between there, right? Of course 30 year old tubes are going to warrant possible replacement! But saying that the "rule of thumb" is 1 year is just totally ludicrous. Is this a GC "rule of thumb"?

10. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    peavey classic from 76 with the original tubes....well of course you had to change em! i dont know when you changed em but i'm guessing recently and that's 30+ years.

11. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    GC and this thread has nothing to do with anything...It sickens me you guys have such a stereotype against employees there. :rolleyes:

12. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    You may be confusing guitar amp tube changes here. If you beat the crap out of your amp by running it with extensive power tube overdriving (as a lot of guitarists do) I believe you can shorten the life significantly. But the 12 6L6's in the 400+ don't usually have that much asked of them. At least, this is what I've heard from fairly reliable sources :)

13. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    All I said was new tubes sound better than old tubes, thus why some suggest to change them 1-2 years. End of story. Bed time suckas. ;)

14. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Now I get it... But, your "experience" with 1 thirty year old guitar amp might not be the best gauge to speak with such authority.

Cheers, though. We're all here to learn! :)

15. Clearly you guys would be more successful if you changed your Tubes more often - sheesh what were you thinking? :D

16. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Stop trying to bring GC into this, it's immature. Not all GC employees are idiots (In fact I encounter more that aren't).

Chronicle is just going by his experience. If he wants to retube often, it's not any of your problems.

I will most likely retube every year or two. Is it overkill? Maybe... but if I'm willing to pay for it, and I can hear a difference, then it's worth it for my peace of mind.

I don't know why we argue about this... certainly there is something more worthy of our time! :)

17. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    That sounds a lot better (and very different) from "The rule of thumb is to change tubes every year". See the difference?

18. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    yea. back on topic! i actually think that whole color code is just a scheme for mesa to make bucks. of course it just makes everything more simple but i mean.... i guess i should take it to my tech once it needs a tune up to get an adjustable bias switch.

19. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    +1! For the record, I love my Mesa Buster's, but the next time I visit my amp tech I'm getting a bias adjustment mod done to both of them. Mesa's fixed-bias argument certainly seems more driven by tube sales than true convenience!

20. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    Aren't tubes lifespans based on hours played,
    not time in the actual amp?

If so, I seem to recall about 400 hours as the magic number.
    If so, then Chronicle could be right. If not, who knows?

Tubes seem to be like lightbulbs. They're not always the same, and they can die way before they're supposed to, blah blah blah.

As to the OP: Please get a bias control, it'll help you. My guitarist has a Peavey head and his tubes are WAAAAAYYY out of bias, but its fixed, so he HAS to buy new tubes.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021