Talked to Mesa the other day.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TONYTHOMAS1956, Feb 15, 2009.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    No, not really.

I got no problem if you want to retube every year or two. It's your money. But I don't think it's cool to put out the info that it should be done every year because it's not true. It's merely a gimmick to sell tubes. So we're here to inform people that they DON'T NECESSARILY* have to replace tubes every year, and that you can get the same benefit of new tubes by a rebias.

(*Obviously if they break, that's another story)

2. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    on note.....i dont know if its just me but i like when tubes have run their 1/2 - midway mark......when tubes are brand new you get that whole......damn this sounds good! but after time you get used to your amp....break in the tubes and be like ahhhhhhhh tubey gooey warmness!!!!! its not until it all goes to **** where i'm like damnit!

3. Big John66

Big John66

Feb 12, 2008
    There's nothing like checking TB late on a sunday night just before bed and catching a post by a 21 year old GC salesman about " replacing tubes once a year as a rule of thumb ". That's just great stuff.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    :D Well to be fair, it's not like it's going to benefit him directly. GC never has the tubes you want anyway.

5. OHHHHHH BURNNNNNN.....sorry that was a sick burn;)

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Ha! I wasn't trying to burn anyone...just stating fact. You can get 12AX7's at GC...maybe they might have a matched pair of 6L6's now and again, but that's about it.

7. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    hahahhahahahhahaa

8. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    when re-tubing an old 400 (or was it a 180?), the color code is used to get "like" tubes which will work together better due to the fixed bias.
    as i recall the pairs only had to be matched, and that was the inside pair out. (6 tubes) so it was center, two outside that, and then the outside pair. must've been the 180.
    i also have never heard of changing power tubes yearly, just regular maintenance and testing. only when they go bad or have gone down hill enough to warrant a change.
    a professional with a proper workshop can tell you the actual state of your tubes. would be less expensive than just new tubes by guesswork.

9. My 400+ has the green code and was thinking of going up one grade to the blue code for a little warmer sound or should I go for the max(red).

Im not planning on changing for several years! I gig on weekends at moderate levels (Bar Band). Even if I get Messa tubes (which I probably will) just wondering if I would benifit tone wise to move up the grading scale. Like I said these have been in the amp since 03, If the replacments last the same time span................Ill be happy!

10. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    i don't think the color has anything to do with sound.

11. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science!

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Groove Tubes uses a color system to denote "gain" characteristics, but I'm not sure whether the same is true with Mesa's color-coding system.

12. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

I am in the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" camp. However to be fair to chronicle, if you read the owners manual of a lot of tube gear very often they advise replacing tubes at regular intervals. Back in the day we could all go down to our local Radio Shack or drug store and get our tubes tested for a few cents but those days are long gone. Not too many of us really thought that tubes would stage the come back that they did. I know i tossed all of my oddball tubes out when I built my first SS amp. Now they would have been worth hundreds of dollars.

The OP asks a fair question. How does a non-electrically minded player take care of an amp he knows nothing about. It's all well and good saying "get a bias mod" but to most players that is a meaningless concept. It's just like a modern car. There are some of us who do their own repairs and maintenance while the rest use a dealership (Manufacturers service center) or your area tech (local mechanic). If one has a tube tester you can check your own tube otherwise you have to trust your local tech or follow the manufacturers advice.

The bias mod pictured looks pretty good. It has good quality multi-turn pots. Some I have seen used cheap crappy pots and I have had to repair more than a few amps where the pot itself failed killing the bias feed. Bad design. If the pot fails it should allow the bias to increase cutting the power tubes off not the other way around where the tubes just run away drawing the maximum current they can until the OPT gives up the ghost.

Paul

13. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Not true! My last tube purchase was at a GC earlier this month. 4 GE 6550A, 4 GE 12AX7, and one GE 12AT7. Fairly reasonable at $300 for everything. The packaging was a little heavy though, it was an Ampeg. :p

14. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    As far as the 400+ is concerned, I never got around to the bias mod when I had mine. It seemed to work fine with any old 6L6, though every other brand I tried sounded better than JJs. That's just an opinion, of course. They're pretty good tubes, but I wouldn't buy from Eurotubes again after Bob forgot a preamp tube, and sent me a defective power tube then blamed me for breaking it. I realize others love him, so maybe he was just having a bad day, but I go elsewhere now.

15. They are based on hours, but I am pretty sure it is more in the thousands of hours range. It all depends on the tubes.

Edit: Tubes An interesting read. Look under disadvantages for a quick reference to tube life.

16. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    did you buy that there....or did they order it?

17. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    In my experience, they can't order ANYTHING. They can only tell me they'll order something, then forget as soon as they're done saying it.

I was just saying in my own stupid way... I bought a cheap old amp that was loaded with sweet, expensive, very difficult to find tubes. It was actually the tubes caught my eye, the amp just came with them and kept them safe on the drive home. Was a pretty neat amp though. I may actually keep it.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021