Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Talked To Roger About MM/J Custom

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BigMikeW, May 31, 2005.

1. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    I just got off the phone with Roger. He has made this in the past and decided that it just didn't have "his" sound.

But, he will make me the bass using a Seymour Duncan MM pickup if I want.

There are a couple problems though. Since his Jazz pickups are humcancelling I couldn't split the MM coils. I could use it in Humbucking mode in both series and paralell but if we tapped it to a single coil. Then it would no longer be humbucking and would have a problem runnign it with the Huncancelling Sadowsky J pickup.

My Warwick FNA Jazzmans do the single coil thing but I am guessing that the J is not humcancelling. Therefore, no conflict.

Now, I called Seymour Duncan and they have a 3 coil MM, one is a dumby coil that makes the single tapped coil humcancelling. This would work BUT the wiring would be insane since they have it setup for their one preamp where the circuit board understands that when it is switched that the gain structure and others things are pre-determined. They said it could be wired to a single switch and work but they do not know how but that Roger could do it. It would just be crazy wiring it up.

Lastly, it would probably be an expensive pickup. Because they do not make it in a 19mm/0.75 inch string spacing. How expensive? I do not know.

Right now I am not sure what I want to do. Need to think on it somemore.

Mike W.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Mike, I'm glad you posted Roger's response because now I don't feel some dumb about what I said in the last thread you started about him maybe not wanting to go in the SC/H direction.

3. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    He'll do it though.

I am a little disappointed though. I'd hate to build the thing and have it NOT have that Sadowsky tone. I have used Rogers pre with other basses and it makes them sound 1,000 times better. BUT, they didn't have the full on Sadowsky tone.

So, I guess I am back to my first thread about trying to decide between Jazz and Soapbars. I have a page with some songs on it and each is different and trying to figure out which is which (www.mikewinnen.com/songsamples.htm).

Meanwhile, I have two Sadowsky's on order and not sure which I really want.

This is a tough call.

Mike W.

4. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    You could just get the neck pickup as a single coil, out of phase with the rear coil of the MM, then your humbucking options are J+J or MM, and you can use the other sounds as long as there is no electronic pollution around.

Or you could rip the electronics out a lakland. Lakland already figured out how to do this with duncan pickups :confused:

5. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    Why don't you get a normal non-hum cancelling jazz pickup?

6. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    If Roger is willing to build the bass for you, why not get in touch with Carey Nordstrand and have him make you a custom MM.

Carey's pickups are amazing...And priced very reasonable.

Carey makes a 3 coil MM PU.
    http://www.nordstrandpickups.com/bass_mod.html

Rob

7. Wasabi1264

Wasabi1264

Oct 3, 2004
    President: MusicDojo.com
    The only problem there is if you can't wait. He's probably at about a 16-18 month wait now. But I'm sure it's worth it. I've been waiting since last November, and according to Carey it may either be a Christmas present or a NAMM souvenier.

8. dragonbass

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    Are you talking bass or pickups?

He might have a MM 3 coil available....Can't hurt to call and ask.

There's going to be a wait time anyway...Roger still has to build the bass, which could be a while.

9. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I can't help but ask why not go with a Lakland 55-94, instead?

10. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.

Lakland's just does it like i said about the Duncan's. The MM has a dumby coil.

It isn'ta big deal. It can be done just at what price?

Mike W.

11. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.

You have a deal with Nordstrand? LOL Or just the Nordstrand Pimp?

Mike W.

12. dragonbass

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    No...... not the Pimp.......Just someone who knows if you want great sounding PU's ..Carey's the man to see.

Rob

13. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    RAM, yeah we all discussed this in a previous thread. I do not care for Lakland's. I think their necks are bulky compared to Sadowsky, I won't play a 35" scale neck and I'd be wishing it sounded like a Sadowsky.

I was endorsed by Spector for years, then jumped to Warwick where I am now. Over the past 3+ years I kept playing TRogers stuff. Sometimes that was at NAMM, in shops, friends who have them and a few times when I was doing a sessions and someone wanted one used.

I am not sure why I never jsut bought one but always "settled" in my opinion. At NAMM 2004 I went by the Lakland booth and talked to them. They said they'd like me to try their stuff and maybe switch from Warwick. I just didn't like their stuff.

That was also the year I met Roger and tried the first batch of Metro's.

I have had cool deals with manufacturers. No star deals BUT way under what even GC pays for stuff. This is the first time that I will be paying full boat for something in about 10 years.

Funny thing. I am happy doing it. I believe in Rogers stuff that much.

I will probably not have Roger build me a custom bass. More likely I will buy a few Metro's over the next 12 months and have once of those customized this way once we can get the wiring sorted out.

Thanks,

Mike W.

14. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    There are a number of different approaches you could take to achieve the stated opbjective of having a "Sadowsky bass with an MM + J configuration": (i) have Roger build you one, (ii) take Lakland (or Nordstrand, Duncan, Aguilar, etc) pups and/or electronics and have a skilled tech install them in a Sadowsky, (iii) have Lakland build you a custom instrument with 34" scale, (iv) etc.

IMO... you'd be taking a shot in the dark (at best) with any of these approaches. The bass will sound "good", but it may not sound exactly as you expect it to, since it seems you're looking for something with "the Sadowsky sound". I don't believe that there actually is a single Sadowsky sound, since Roger offers multiple configurations, but... my advice: get a Sadowsky in one of the stock configurations. Be happy and make music with it. It is/will be a fine instrument.

15. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.

I will definitely check them out. Biggest question is the string spacing. You happen to know what the string spacing is on the MM5-3?

Mike W.

16. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Thought of all of that. I am going to talk to Nino since he uses the Nordstran pickups. I want the growl of the jazz bass but a little more. I like Rogers soapbars but I want them to have some more growl and bite. Hance the thought about an MM/J hybrid.

I am guessing that it would still sound like a Sadowsky .

JUst got an email from Sandberg... Did someone on here show them the last thread? LOL

Mike W.

17. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
  18. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    I just completed a Warmoth neck/body bass and used a Nordstrand NJ4SE (humcancelling Jazz) in the neck and a MM4.4 quad coil (where both sets of J-type p/u's are humcancelling) and am absolutely blown away by the sound they produce! I'm not a Nordstrand endorser (sure wish I could figure out how to be, though) or sales person, just a user who has found nirvana in bass p/u arranging. I give this p/u combo :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: out of five. And a HUGE bonus with the MM4.4 quad coil is that you don't need the extra route depth to provide room for the dummy coil in the bottom.

You're welcome to drop me a note if you have need of any specifics.

R

19. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    What is the string apacing of the coils? Their site does not list that. Also, a Quad coil? Never seen that but that is for a 4 string anyway right?

Mike W.

20. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    This needs to be saved and posted every time a "Sadowsky is a CNC/Parts bass" comes up. For a pro with multiple deals in his past to take this route shows true honesty and class. :)

Very nicely said Mike, and I hope you're able to find the method that will suit you the best.