Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TalkGuitar?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by x4x, Dec 15, 2004.

1. x4x

x4x

May 10, 2003
    Erps-Kwerps
    Whats a good forum that is like TalkBass for guitar-players? I tried TalkGuitar but with no succes ;)

2. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    The phenomenal success of talkbass is rather unique. I've seen g%&tar groups on yahoo and then particualr groups, like jazz g%&tar, etc., but have not seen a community like talkbass for guitar. Also, even though we sometimes complain that people will flame you on this fourm, it is really quite civilized, because of a great deal of good work by the mods. I've gone to smaller guitar groups in which kids (or?) just blow at the lip. Not interested.

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    There's not enough room for all their egos on a forum, so one can't exist :cool: I'll prolly get in trouble for saying that :p.

Ray

Mvilmany and Fabian_Aryo like this.
  4. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I'll echo Bluemonk's comments.

I have posted once or twice on a few guitar boards when looking for some information. Every time the threads have been derailed by (presumably) kids engaging in online slanging matches. :mad:

If anyone knows of any civilised guitar boards out there, please let me know.

5. Plus (from what my guitarist told me) on talkguitar.com it's just a mass amount of people talking about how Les Paul's are the best guitars ever made.

6. You can find specialized guitar forums of good groups of guys that are knowledgeable and enthusiastic about more specific instruments and things. Stuff like the Les Paul Forum, the Fender Forum, FDP, G&L Forum, Seymour Duncan... I'm sure there are plenty of others. I don't know of a good general guitar forum.

Of course you could always post in the Miscellaneous Forum here and laugh at those that are insecure enough in themselves to seriously try to give you a hard time. There are plenty of people here that have played or currently play guitar as their main instrument (or split time evenly). Even just general knowledge and experience as a musician is helpful and useful to everyone, regardless of the instrument you choose.

Imaginary Pony likes this.
  7. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    Now you make me think of the possibilty of this site becoming a talk bass/guitar site. I don't think I want that to happen. Soon a bunch of guitar players will be showing up here and posting in the Misc. forum and soon the Misc. forum will be bigger than the Bass guitar forum. :)

I've actually wondered myself if there was a talkguitar.com or anything. Everytime my brother (guitarist) comes in my room when I'm on this site he says "Ohhhhh the gay talk bass forum...F&*$ing bassist" and then leaves. As mentioned above there probably isn't a forum big enough for all their egos. Is it alright to feel sad for my brother because he doesn't have any place to go when he needs help on the guitar.;)

8. You mean they're not? :cool:

Like I said, there's enough people already here that are or were guitarists. While I think it would be silly to go to a bass guitar site to get info on guitars- but I wouldn't automatically dismiss any info that I would get here.

Most guitarists I know aren't hung up on being the prima donna "lead guitarist" or have complexes about someone being "just a bass player," or are any more interested in making a wankfest for themselves more than any other musician that feels they have a good part to be heard. (lead singers though... :p ) In contrast, bass players complain that they're "bassists" not "bass players" or it's a "bass" not a "bass guitar" or if you play with a pick you're not a "real" bass player or whatever.

In all honesty, big egos are found on guitarists, drummers and bass players alike. (lead singers though...)

9. Well said. In the different bands I've been in, it's always been a different person who had the ego...sometimes the drummer, sometimes the guitarist, (never been in a band with someone who was solely a lead singer) and I was even kicked out of one band because they thought I had the ego! But I was 16 at the time, and just thought I was the shiznit. But yeah, you can always find an egotistical person on every instrument, not just guitarists.

10. It's all about the Gibson SG, duh :p

11. www.seymourduncan.com/forum

Thats where I go for my guitar needs. I'm "Jake" on there. It's not too bad of a community, much smaller than talkbass and often some employees and eveb celebrities will come by...George Lynch has posted a few times and Seymour himself posted once (and only once).

12. GUITAR!

13. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA

Get thee to a nunnery, go. :D

14. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Miscellaneous.

15. Did I really say that out loud? It must be me wanting that 600page "Totally Guitar" book I picked out for xmas.

16. RoyQBiv

RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    I was thinking about this the other day. There are a LOT of guys around TB that also play guitar--from people that play enough to fill out some of their bass recordings, to people that play guitar in one band and bass in another. But TalkBass is by far the best community I've ever encountered on the 'net. I think it'd be a boon to all of the guitar-moonlighting TBers if there was a Guitars forum, for general discussion/gear talk/whatever.

*ducks*