Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Talkin' Bass -- The TB/DB Sampler

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Sam Sherry, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    The sampler is done and copies go out to participants tomorrow. I will also spread some of folks' CDs around for a more detailed critique if folks are willing.

Marcus, I'm sorry to report that I left your name off the front cover. My bad.

It has been a lot of fun to hear everybodys' stuff. I've learned from it already. I hope that all the participants will enjoy the discs and also take the opportunity to interact with constructive criticism. I'm ready, folks, hit me.

There are only two ways that I can figure for people who are not participants to see and hear the project. The first would be for me to spend a bunch more time burning copies. The second would be for someone to host the project as mp3s and .pdfs on their website so folks can download. You won't be shocked to hear that I like the second notion a lot better. But if nobody steps forward in the next while, I will probably post my mailing address and folks can get them from me.

Time to practice.

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    *cough*Chrisfitzgeraldmusic.com*cough*

3. Sam Sherry

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Pac, until I did this project I did not realize exactly what was involved in hosting an album online. 75 minutes of music is about 650 megs of of .wav files. Ripped to mp3s it still takes up about 70 megs. And we've got two discs here.

It's not the hard-drive space, it's the transfer capacity. Most folks' websites simply do not have the bandwidth to shove 150 megs out to both the people who might want to hear this. To get that capability, ya need to pay -- about $30/month from what I can tell.

So what I/we need is a) somebody whose site is set up to push music already; b) somebody who's in the hosting trade and ready to give some away; or c) some remarkably-generous mercantile type. Or none of the above.

4. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Prolly a stupid idea but mebbe Paulie could sell the cd's here? I'd buy one-I've got a t-shirt and mug!

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'd certainly buy one - like a shot! I'd love to hear this, but I only have slow connection and crappy computer speakers, so a CD would be infinitely preferable. Maybe a suggestion for the box in Paul's Shack?

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I'll ask JD about the possibility, but it does sound like a lot of server space. But if he has no objection, we could try it.

Sam - a couple of things to think about:

1) I doubt that the demand for these things is going to be all that great (just look at how long it took folks to scrape together the enthusiasm to contribute to it!). My guess is that you'd probably be asked to make a couple of copies and mail a couple of envelopes, and then it would be done.

2) If I'm wrong and there was greater demand than you want to deal with, we could rotate the copying/mailing chores around the horn. I'd be fine with being next in line - once I get them in my G4, all it would take would be a couple of buttons to press and about 5 minutes per disc. I just can't imagine too many people are going to be lining up for for this sucker.

I also think that it would be cool if Paul D. had a copy, and I'd be happy to pay for it. There's just something about having an actualy physical CD that is so much nicer that sitting at your computer listening to a download. Still, I'll forward this to my webmaster and see what he says.

EDIT: I was going to link the original thread about the "Johnson Compilation", but somebody
    *coughcough*Samuel,thepostdeletionoverlord*coughcough* seems to have deleted it.

addendum:

3) People can't request a disc if they don't know it exists. Maybe we could list the contents somewhere once we get the logistics figured out?

4) And most important, FAT ALBERT sized Kudos to Sam for taking the time to organize this and put it all together. I know how much work this must have been, and I think we aren't going to realize just how cool this thing is until we are each holding it in our hot little rosin-specked hands. Bravo, Sam!

7. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Well, geez, seeing as though I couldn't get my act together to do any recording in August, maybe I can help out some other way.

I've got a little old website that I use just for foolin' around, developing programming chops, etc.

I've got the space AND bandwidth to host mp3s. No fancy streaming or anything, but folks could download them from there....

Lemme know...

8. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree - maybe Paul will be sympathetic as he is a DB player himself and would sell CDs like he does the other TB stuff!! ;)

Maybe if we could identify how many CDs minimum would be sold, it might help to get it started?

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I'd love a copy! I troll down this way often and listen to all you guys share.

I rip all my CDs to the computer anyway so if the cost is only to cover time and materials it'd be cool with just a download.

Maybe in the next couple years I'll be able to contribute :cool:
    ... for now I'm stuck with simplistic pentatonic electric bass geetar wanking (all hosted online for your musical torture ;) ).

I use www.phpwebhosting.com and they charge $9.95 a month with no bandwidth limitations and they'll bump up the 125mb as much as needed within the same price.

11. Sam Sherry

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Something's brewing, folks. I'll let you know what comes up.

You're welcome. It is what it is. I've learned from it. I'll learn more from it if somebody spends time with constructive criticism of my own material.

There is a wealth of talent around here. As the resident hokey-poker -- my right leg is in, now -- I'm going to take this chance to say that, while players are on all different levels, it's hokey but true: We all have something to offer and we all have something to learn.

Snff . . . sumbuddy get me a kleenex . . .

12. garron

garron

Jun 26, 2003
    Washington, DC
    I would love to hear this stuff. IMHO, there may be more interested listeners than you think...

Good luck Samuel, I'll keep an eye out for an update.

13. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Sounds good to me. Sam?

14. Sam Sherry

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    We have a victim -- somebody is willing and able to host the TB/DB sampler project.

I'm holding back the name until the whole deal is done, just in case things don't work out. Things have gotten a little TESTY around here lately . . . OK, sir, just put the bow DOWN . . . step AWAY from the bow, sir . . .

I'm also glad to see that the EB crowd is trying to do something too. Way to go, Smash, and I hope that it turns out to be fun and positive for everybody on that side.

So, please, a modest amount of patience and we'll be underway.

15. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm always late to find out about stuff.