Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Talking about moving to Seattle/Tacoma

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by RyanHelms, Oct 27, 2003.

1. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    My wife Heather and I have been kicking around the idea of relocating for a while now. After one particular road trip a few years ago that took us through just about the whole country, we decided the Pacific Northwest was just too sweet.

Her parents were in Seattle in the late sixties and loved it. Said it's the best place they've ever lived. My aunt's family is from the area as well and they all say how beautiful it is.

After a quick glance at Seattle's official website the wheels started turning. Heather, who is a working artist and very active in theater, was psyched to see all the galleries/theaters listed. I'm of course interested in the music scene. Her and I both dream of supporting ourselves doing what we love and realize the area we live in has much to do with determining that outcome. Couple the beauty of the Pacific N.W. and the culture and Seattle's looking good.

So....being hooked on TalkBass I thought "hey I wonder if any TB'ers are in Seattle/Tacoma and could chime in here". Anything really, just putting out feelers in an attempt to help make a fairly major decision about moving to the other side of the country. Best case scenario would be to actually have a contact that could help line things up.

Looking forward to hearing from you,
    -RH

2. John Ruiz

John Ruiz

Oct 9, 2000
    Plano, Tx
    I LOVE Seattle. I have only been there once, but my girlfriend grew up there (and in surrounding areas) and can hardly wait to get back! I am going to be moving to Seattle in roughly 2 years and I am counting the days... :) I have lived in Texas my whole life, and in Dallas for 20 years...time to move on, and I sure can't think of a better place to move to!!

The ONLY negative thing I have heard about Seattle is that the constant cloudyness/rain can become depressing, but I didn't have any problems with it!

BTW: Leann (GF)is a Theater major, and a brilliant lighting designer/tech! She is going to school to become an entertainment lawyer, and wants to be very active in theater when time permits.

3. via satellite

via satellite

Sep 16, 2003
    Seattle represent!

I'm a born and raised Seattleite currently off at college. I think it's a wonderful city, particularly because it has all cool stuff associated with urban living, but it has waaaaay less crime than other big cities. I didn't really appreciate it until I lived elsewhere, but it's really nice in that respect. I don't find the rain all that depressing; I honestly think it's overexaggerated. Some parts of the city are getting very 'yuppified', but there are still lots of cool funky places, too. From what you said, I think you'd really like the area known as Georgetown, which is just south of downtown. It used to be a slightly depressed working/warehouse area just north of Boeing Field, but now it's getting this huge revival/influx of artists and musicians. Between downtown and Boeing Field there are now about 1500 artist studios. They're gradually moving out of Fremont, which is getting awfully pricey, and are moving down south.

There are lots of funky houses for pretty good prices available there, and it's definitely the up-and-coming place to be. I've had a lot of fun as a musician in the city, and I can't recommend it enough!

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask...

4. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Did I mention you all rock? Man, send out a call and it gets answered. Right on.

Rain and gray? No problem, I'm in North East Ohio!!!!!!! Cleveland sets the record for cloudy days. I'm just interested in a place that's happ'nin, and right now C-land is not. (oh yeah, not to mention the grandeur of the Pacific N.W.)

The way cool thing is we can hop on I90 two minutes from here and take it all the way.

SMASH - Yer in Vancouver B.C.? Most excellant. Yeah, I thought "San Diego and I can hop into Mexico, or Seattle and I can hop into Canada." Might not be too much "hopping" into Canada these days though. An area called the U-district just sounds cool. :D

John- I checked out Dallas Alley once visiting a college friend outside Dallas during spring break. Music pouring out of everyplace! Dug it. BTW, Sounds like Leann could be up for a gig like Candace Brightman's :) (who happens do be doing a presentation in San Fran with HPX Presents, a company in -you guessed it- Seattle. Weird....) Try a web search for "Candace Brightman" to get the scope of things.

via - The artist-musician-funky-houses-warehouse-district-revival-thing is just what the doctor ordered. I'll definately be getting back to ya.

Meantime, just sitting on the north shore of Lake Erie, waiting for winter to hit...

-RH

5. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i'm in bremerton, on the other side of puget sound from seattle. i'm from south carolina, but the navy has me stationed at bangor submarine base on shore duty. this place is really great. i think i might stay. i KNOW there are several more guys out there...keithpas is from poulsbo, natebass is from bremerton...then you have geshel, lildrgn, and a few others from seattle proper.

6. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    My wife's dad was stationed somewhere in or around Seattle 35 years ago. So far, everybody is in agreement that Seattle is sweet. I mean, to get stationed there and want to stay....from warm SC to boot.

7. John Ruiz

John Ruiz

Oct 9, 2000
    Plano, Tx
    As for Dallas, yes there is ALOT of music here, but still not much of a vibe... if that is possible. That is obviously IMHO, IME,CIA,DELL, etc... :D but I like the feeling I get when walking through Seattle, fresh, clean airt, beautiful landscape, great attitude... I can't wait!

And as for Candace Brightman.... wow.:eek:
    That is exactly what I see Leann doing, and she will love that link!

8. It's not that bad. Sometimes you can be in heavy traffic and still be doing 60 mph. It only gets badly cramped in certain sections (for example: the downtown bottleneck where it goes from 5 lanes to 2) and during road work where they have to close up lanes.

9. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Bring your raincoat.

Being in the fish biz, I do a lot of business in Seattle. Our sales manager spent 2 years up there, and he loved it. Most of the people I have dealt with have been good, like it there, and love the city.

Of course, I like it because it is a real working port, the docks smell like fish and diesel oil, the way they should.

Navy guys retire in all the best places, Seattle,
    Annapolis area, and Newport RI. Says something.
    Cleve is ok, but pretty dead downtown.

You could be there in three days if you started packing now ...

good luck

T

10. ... and they aren't kidding about the Tacoma aroma. :D

11. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Do you eventually get used to it?

12. I live in Tacoma i love it its awesome weve got bass northwest and other awesome stuff it doent rain that much you get used to it but traffic is horrible ecspecially in Seattle and by where im by the Narrows Bridge is also bad. Other than that its all good mostly.

You dont really get used to the aroma but for the most part its not bad just in certain areas

13. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    traffic on the narrows SUX :D

14. I've been here for almost two years and the stench still makes me cringe. However, it may be different for you.

As greenbassfreak mentioned, we do have Bass Northwest, and that certainly adds worth to the area. ":}

15. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    When i was a wee-lad I feared longer car rides because of the Aroma of Tacoma. But it doesn't seem quite as bad to me anymore. I think it is because i've smelled a couple things that smelled a bit worse.

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm in Porland, OR, but I though I'd chime in and say that Seattle is indeed a very cool place to be. It has that art/funk vibe to it; very diggable.

17. It smells much worse in Portland. :D

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That's just the homeless people. Don't mind them.