Talking Aguilar

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Indi86, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Do the AG series amps sound anything like their much more expenseive cousins in the DB series? I played a DB750 that I absolutely fell in love with, but its way out of my price range.

A couple of questions:

The AG 500SC, however, falls in my price range. Whats the difference between the two channels on the AG 500?

How does this amp compare to others in this bracket like the SVT 3Pro and the ABM 500? I've played through both of those, so feel free to use subjective tone comparison lingo.

Thanks for all the help TB'ers

2. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    The AG500sc is a great amp. Sounds good, same "type" of sound as the DB750, but not quite as warm or articulate. To my ears it's somewhere between a cross of a Gallien Krueger and an eden. Very useable tones. Of the amps you mentioned, probably really close to the ABM 500.

The second channel is an overdrive channel. Don't know if you will have a need for it. I would probably just buy a good pedal and save the $$. The single channel is just a clean channel only. Overall, EQ is subtle compared to some other manufacturers.

Check out this month's Bass Player review of the amp
  3. Hey I was on my way into town to get this months BP anyways haha. Thanks, Pickebass!
  4. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The clean channel on the AG500 sounds fantastic, really good pure sound, good sounding EQ, and the power amp has a lot of punch. More than enough headroom for a 5 piece rock band with a single 4 ohm 4x10, and warm enough to sound good with my modulus. Plus it is really small and lightweight ... very cool amp overall. I didn't care for the distortion channel at all, its EQ was not powerful enough to get the kind of distorted tone I like.
  5. Well, just finished the BP review of it. It sounds like a stellar addition to that price range, and I'm gonna pick one up ASAP.