Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
  2. dpes any one knwo the name of the movie he made. john goodmen(sp?) is in it.

3. freakbass

freakbass "Pile-drivingly Heavy" since 1983

"stop making sense" was my first taste of the talking heads, and that DVD changed the way I play bass. Good stuff.

4. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Stop Making Sense is pure genius. I think that movie you're talking about with Goodman is called True Stories. I have this big (and I mean big) yellow book by Byrne called 'Your Action World: Winners are Losers with a New Attitude'. It's got really big pictures with off the wall quotes and it's hilarious - it's like a parody of many things. I found this quote from it online:

"to stem the tide of images and bullying texts that assault all of us, by building dikes and dams of my own images and texts. To understand the enemy I must become one with the enemy, I must be of one mind with the enemy. I must infect myself in order to be immunized."

5. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Indeed, another album that should be given to every newborn baby right out of the womb. Pretty much all of the Talking Heads albums are classic (with the exception of a few latter day ones), but Stop Making Sense is about as close as you can get to a greatest hits.

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Good film, good live album. Talking heads near the peak of their commercial success, operating on all cylinders.

In general I hate Chris Franz's drumming, but I love his enthusiasm and everything else about the Heads.

If you like this record or the Heads in general, pick up "Remain In Light", it's generally considered to be their greatest album. It's my favorite, anyway, by a rather large margin.

7. Remain In Light is simply awesome. For some of Byrne's more recent stuff, I really like Feelings. It's one of my desert island discs.

8. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Ahhh, the Heads.
    You guys should also check out the dvd Live at Union Chapel. There's come cool arrangements and he's got a really tight band (of course) with a good mix of old and new stuff - I think he sings one song in Italian.

Didn't Byrne have George Porter, Jr. on a weird 90's album/tour?

I wish I could find video footage of a Sessions @ West 54th Street he did. It was great - he changed costumes like every song and was generally freaking out.

9. "Stop Making Sense" - DVD - on the whole, it's very entertaining - David Byrne is both fascinating and amazing, especially the interviews. The other musicians are OK for the most part, but Tina Weymouth did nothing to convince me she's anything other than the total waste of space I thought her to be the very first time I saw her (on "Old Grey Whistle Test" on the Beeb in the 1970's). I thought the "Big Suit" was cool…

- Wil