1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tall Font Russian, do you clean blend it?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by michinho, Oct 31, 2013.

1. michinho

michinho

Oct 11, 2013
    London, UK
    Looking at getting a muff based fuzz and I've always loved the Green Russian ones. The TFR looks perfect but does it require a clean blend in a band/live setting?

Thanks!

2. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Depends on your reason for 'needing' a blend. It certainly doesn't need any help in the low end department. But I prefer a fuzz with a blend not to bring back lost low end, but to add back some dynamics and clarity to the super compressed signal.

By the way, you can order the TFR with a built in blend, but the one I had seemed to be wired out of phase, rendering it useless, so I would use it with a separate blender.

3. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Nope.

Not to say anyone shouldn't, but I don't.

4. My TFR didn't have a blend, and I never felt like it needed one. My current fuzz does, but I don't really feel like it needs it either. I think a nicely executed circuit and tone can be effective without a clean blend, but nothing wrong with having one. If I was buying a brand new TFR today, I'd probably order it with a clean blend, just in case I ever wanted it (or someone who was buying the pedal after me did).

5. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    Does not require a clean blend for boom, it will shake the walls. Now it's green muff voicing is such the distortion doesn't necessarily cut through the mix, BUT the bass itself is never lost in the mix like on other muff style fuzzes. In a live mix the bass is massive and wooly.

Because of the low end the circuit actually seems to add to your signal, a clean blend on the TFR pedal actually feels like it reduces the volume (since you're dialing out the affected signal). I had a clean blend on my first one and got one without the second time around because of this.

6. NeroJazz

NeroJazz

May 2, 2011
    Denmark
    I've never needed a clean blend for my TFR.
    IMO the TFR really shines in a band mix. I never really cared for it when playing alone, but when you bring on the fuzz in a band setting it totally roars.

7. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I think this is because of the phase issue with the blend on that particular pedal. Either extreme of the blend knob is loud yet it's quiet in the middle.

8. Interesting points about the potential problems with the clean blend on the TFR. I retract my earlier statement that I would consider getting one if I bought a TFR again. I loved it without the blend back when I had it, and it sounds like that is the way it is best enjoyed!

9. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
    +1 to all the above. My TFR rips and remains solid on the low end without a clean blend.

-JV

10. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    My TFR doesn't and I don't need it. It's awesome in the mix and has fat low end.

11. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    My TFR does have a clean blend and I always have it on about 25% for that extra oomph in the mix. But, I do agree that it is not necessary with the TFR. That being said, Matt does make one of the best clean blends IMO.

12. alec

alec

Feb 13, 2000
    Perth, Australia
    Mine doesn't have it and it sounds great. But my Pickle Pie B does and I roll it off with my foot for fading out the fuzz during a breakdown.

13. Vlad5

Vlad5 Chronic Knob Twiddling Tone Chaser

Feb 17, 2011
    New England
    Like mentioned already...

For bottom end retention, it doesn't need a blend at all; no way.
    For a bit of note articulation and definition, yeah, it does help.

And I agree; it's weird at first, but Matt's blend control on the TFR is really well done and very useful, once you get the hang of it.