1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tall Font Russian VS SuperCollider

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Dazonbass, Mar 31, 2013.

1. I am wondering if anyone has had both of these and could tell me the pros and cons of each.

I have examined the schematics of each and can see the difference in the circuits but have not had the physical hands on experience of both of them.

It seems like lately that the Wren and Cuff TFR is winning out over the SuperCollider. Is this just because Earth Bound Audio is out of business again or is there more to it?

Thanks for your input

2. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I've had both and kept the Wren and Cuff TFR. I just like the rawness of it's timber. The supercollider seemed a little too smooth.

3. Thanks Matt, that is an interesting description.

Makes me wonder if it is the complexer tone control of the Supercollider is what smooths out the signal.

4. I've used both and I totally agree with this however I prefer the smoothness of the supercollider, Supercollider into TFR is just insane though I say get both if you can.

5. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    The TFR is a dark/bassy lower gain (but not low gain per se) fuzz. It has a grainy quality to the distortion.

The Supercollider is as described by others smoother and higher gain. It reminded me of the Grey Stache.

Both are really nice pedals.

depalm likes this.
  6. Thank you Laurent... now I have to divide my Fuzz (high gain) category into various subcategories. :D

Actually I missed that the resistors that connect the various gain sections are a little lower in the SuperCollider. I take it these resistors are the cause of the difference in gain.

After these comments I think I will attempt to build a hybrid version with a character knob (and/or switch) to go between uber-high gain and normal-high gain. Keep the depth part as an internal pot (and/or switches) and use the TFR tone stack since it is a little simpler, to keep the front a little simpler.

Thanks for all the help guys.

7. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    Any thoughts; Is the Pickle Pie more of a Fuzz than the Phat Phuk, temporarily have a Budget Distortion Ibanez PD7 (seems to generate a bit too much feedback it seems when driving it into a Cry Baby bass wah) which would be better to drive into the Cry Baby, a darkglass BK3/BK7/ New BK Vintage or one of the Wren and Cuff overdrives/fuzzes.. trying to figure out
    which is better to get close to a the fuzzy type distortion, IE: queens of the stone age "no one knows" or Audio slave "Cochise" song? TFR or the pickle pie b? was looking at and researching the FEA and The dave hall preamps (VT2-Stereo-EQ-Bass Valve Pre-amp/Overdrive) as well; may be cool to have a DI out option, as long as there is one that can be blended more to the dry/clean signal) not sure if the FEA's have real tubes.. One guy "mjac28" said the vintage may be good for me.. have been reading up on the pickle pie b, tall font russian (wondering if it has a blend like the PP-B?) and FEA photon fuzz also, anyone here have any suggestions to a good choice for a first real FUZZ Pedal for? me
    Play through a SVT CL (2006 USA model or a ampeg V4 sometimes) Use drop C sharp and Drop C sometimes.. Thanx PP
    Thanx PP