1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tall order: active 34" scale 5er w/thick neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Engine207, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    I recently began playing 5-string, and being a Fender guy, I bought a Standard Jazz Bass V. At the same time, I found a great deal on an Ibanez BTB455, so I picked that up too. The plan was to play them both for awhile and A/B until I had a clear winner.

I love the feel of Fender and the chunkier, almost P-Bass-like neck on the JB-V, but the B-string didn't articulate as well as I hoped. The Ibby has a really cool, aggressive look, active EQ, and a great sense of quality build. I thought it was going to be the keeper, but I'm really having trouble adjusting to its super-thin neck and 35" scale. I think they're both going to wind up on the TB classifieds as soon as I can find something else. But what?

I'm looking for some suggestions on 5-string basses to check out that have the following features:
    • 34" scale
    • active EQ (or aftermarket adaptable)
    • chunkier neck
    • 17.5 - 19 mm spacing
    • $500 or less (preferably used)
    • nice, tight B-string
    Any additional thoughts (as well as recommendations) are greatly appreciated!

2. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    A Warwick Thumb Bass immediately comes to mind, especially the wide 5, but they can't be had anywhere near 5 bills.

3. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Brubaker Brute maybe.

4. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Sell both of them, save a bit more money, and pick up something like an old Yamaha TRB 5, Warwick Corvette 5, or the like....

5. why cant you just drop an active pre into the Jazz V?

theres the Audere JZ3 - but the preamp is very transparent meaning you will not get a boost in volume but you do get more tonal options IMHO

Bartolini makes a few Pres that are drop in easy
    http://www.theperfectbass.com/explo...&W=STORE&P=N&S=1001081&U=1&SS=1&CR=N&modify=0

All I can suggest is to go to GC and try some

SBMM ray35s

Ibanez ATK 305s

Or try used..

6. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Carvin LB-75, though I'm not 100% sure about the neck dimensions.
    I think other 5's MIGHT have a thicker neck, but an LB-75 hits all the other marks you're is looking for.

I dont like "pencil" necks myself and I would definitely think the Carvin has more meat than most Ibanez necks.

Now the question remains, can you find one locally to play? You wont know for sure without playing one.

7. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Try a G&L Tribute L-2500. Chunky neck, narrow spacing. It has a pre, but the tone controls are passive cut only, which may not do it for you.

8. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
  9. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    Thanks for all of the takes guys. I love TB!

I checked out the Warwick site, and they look pretty nice, especially the $$. I'll have to get my hands on one of those to try out, but I haven't seen many of them around. The website lists the 4-string as 34" scale and 5-string is "available" (but no scale length specifically listed for those). I want to try some of those.

Since I really like the Fenders, especially the necks, I would consider keeping the JB-V and putting an Audere in, but will that (or any preamp) help the B-string articulation?

I've never really played a EBMM. I like the looks of the Sterling. Is there much difference between the Ray, Sterling, Sub and Bongo (other than styling)?

Now Carvin...there's an idea! I really like what I've seen/read of the LB-75 as well as the Icon. Their poor resale (which I don't get at all) will help keep the price of a used one down, but again, they may be difficult to find.

I might find myself driving up to The Bass Place, in Tempe tomorrow to see what Lee and Dennis have to say about the matter...

10. Although it'll probably feel like you are taking a step backward, find a Squier Deluxe Active Jazz 5. Awesome! Solid thick 34" with amazing sound and about $300.00. Seriously find one and give it a try.

H

11. datsaxguy

datsaxguy

Oct 28, 2008
    Maryland
    You can probably get an Ibanez ATK305 brand new on sale. That bass sounds like it fits your description. There are some threads on the forum and sound clips on youtube.

12. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    The answer has to be Warwick. They are known for having chunky necks. Considering the roasting they normally get for having massive necks, I can't believe that more people haven't suggested it. Try out a Ash Corvette Standard for a jazz bass sort of sound, Bubinga Corvette Standard for a bit more of that Warwick grind, or the $$ for something a bit different and more versatile. You should be able to get your hands on any of them fairly cheaply.

13. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    Warwick are reverting to slimmer necks as standard for 2010. They have the thicker option available, as well as an extra slim option. But most models you'll find in shops would have the old fat profile.

14. humpy thumb

humpy thumb

Jul 23, 2005
    Sydney Australia
    Warwick bass forum moderator.
    It's actually from 2009 the old slim neck is standard Monkey.
    These are already in alot of stores now.

15. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    Is the older fat neck the one they used between like 1998 and 2008?

And is it a no upcharge option, or does it cost?

16. humpy thumb

humpy thumb

Jul 23, 2005
    Sydney Australia
    Warwick bass forum moderator.
    That's correct.
    If you want a fat neck,it costs extra coz it's no longer standard & has to be built from scratch.;)

17. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    +1 on the Ibanez ATK.
    Surprisingly for an Ibanez, it has a very chunky, yet playable, neck. Try one.

18. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    Warwicks definitely come to mind, and they have the aggressive looks.

My L2500 has a baseball-bat neck, which I love. But I'm not familiar with any of the tribute necks (never actually played...or even seen one in a store for that matter). I mention tributes because they cost less than the USA models (around your price range). They have the 17.5mm string spacing. But as was stated, the tone of G&L's are more of a love them or hate them...

I really like the EBMM 5-string necks. Not too thin, not too thick. Very comfortable.

The Carvin SB5000 and new B50 necks are kind of chunky and wider than normal. I believe the 5-string models have a 19mm string spacing (the older B5 has 17.5mm or so)

19. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I guess the real question is do you want that jazz bass feel and sound? If that's the case it narrows the field quickly. If your open to other types of instruments likely a used SR5 may fit the bill...

20. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    Man, that sucks. I love the fat necks.