1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tambourine - wow!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kesslari, Sep 24, 2008.

1. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Tambourine is an instrument that doesn't get much respect.
    You see someone playing tambourine on stage, you figure they're only there 'cos they're shagging one of the band members.

Not everywhere though. In Brazillian and Middle Eastern music, it shows up as a definite player...

2. Now if only we could go back in time and demonstrate to the countless tambourine "players" that there's more to it than slap-chikka-slap-chikka-slap-chikka-ckikka-slap

3. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    IIRC one of the Funk Brothers (name escapes me) shown in Standing In The Shadows Of Motown is/was an amazing tambourine player. Also Steve Amedee of the subdudes is excellent.

4. I thought people stopped playing tambourine after kintergarten?

5. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Yep, that tambourine was an important part of the Funk Brothers' sound. And the guy there in that movie (real funk brother I suppose) sure could handle it. It's not as easy as one would think at first.

6. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    All excellent. Ron Powell for the win though. :D

7. Yep - Tambourine is definitely an underrated instrument - or better stated, a mostly underplayed instrument!

My drummer is an amazing tambourine player! He, and his brother, are African and Middle Eastern drum aficionados and Ted can turn loose what sounds like a full kit part using a tiny tambourine.

8. All those little percussion instruments really make a HUGE difference in recordings- live... sorta- but that extra layer of stuff....

9. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Ron Powell is also an accomplished vibraphone player. When he's not playing the vibes, he's filling in on tambourine. He's probably played other percussion instruments has needed.

10. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    YEAH! That dude kills.

11. That Funk Brother is Jack Ashford. If you listen, there aren't many Motwn hits without a tambourine.

Another good tambourine player is British percussionist extraordinaire, Ray Cooper. Catch him at approximately 2:45 into this clip from the Concert for George:

Bluesy Soul :cool:

12. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Chicago
    I don't know what bands you listen to or play with, but auxiliary percussion is one of the most demanding jobs in music.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've always liked the way Ray Cooper handles a tambourine. He has a tambourine solo in this at about 4:06. As an extra added bonus, you get Nathan East (even singing) with a bunch of other people I don't know.

14. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I saw the first post and immediately thought of Ray Cooper...but didn't know his name. He was 'that dude in that one live video (the Prince's Trust? or maybe The Secret Policemen's Other Ball?) I saw'. I also thought of 'that guy with the Subdudes', but I had never learned his name. I'd heard Ray's name as an auxiliary percussionist, but didn't know that was him. And I even thought of that same scene in SITSOM, but couldn't remember the Funk Brother in questions name.

I think this means that the tambourine gets even less notoriety than the bass.

15. That's funny, Munji! I almost used your Ray Cooper link instead of mine, but declined because I feared it was too long. You were right to include it, however. Your link to "Sunshine" shows off Ray's abilities on tambourine and other percussion instruments much better than mine.

Whenever I see a singer or some other member of a band standing on stage and listlessly holding a tambourine with a dazed look on his or her face, I think of Ray Cooper and what you can do if you get into it. IMO, he's a true soul man.

Bluesy Soul :cool:

16. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I just think it's funny and maybe a little bit sad that as cool and memorable a musician as Ray is, and Steve is , and Jack is, Even a music geek like me had to be cued as to what their names are.

I pictured all three of them when I read the first post. And I couldn't have told you any one of their names.

17. It's amazing how much groove the tambourine added to Motown. Try playing a Motown tune without it and you definitley notice.