Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tame deer suddenly appeared!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by nashvillebill, Dec 23, 2004.

1. It's freezing rain outside now, and I walked out to my car to see how bad it was frozen over. Suddenly, across the street, I see a little deer, maybe a year old doe (whitetail). Not terribly surprising, since I live at the fringe of the city and there's lots of farmland and woods across the street.

However, imagine my surprise when this deer looks at me...and walks right up to me!!! No fear at all!! Evidently somebody has tamed this deer, it looked like it wanted me to pet it. Hmmm!!! I called my girlfriend out to see it...."ooh it must be hungry" she said, so she tried throwing it some dog treats. (Sorry but deer don't eat beef dog treats, I guess she didn't know deer GRAZE....)

Unfortunately the dog slid out the open door and chased the deer away (but not before I snapped a couple of pictures to prove I wasn't hallucinating).

What's really unfortunate is now this deer has no fear of people. Come hunting season, the little critter is going to be in trouble. :eek:

2. It's not hunting season you should be worried about -- it's summer vacation, when the teenagers decide to see how fast their cars can go. :p

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I always hate to see that...not because of the hunting thing but because they are typically fed by people in the suburbs who have no understanding of wildlife management and the potential problems they're causing. This usually means that there are a lot of other deer getting fed in the area by other people and in a few years that neighborhood will have a massive deer overpopulation problem and the only solution will be massive slaughter.

On a larger scale that is the benefit of hunting from state to state...it helps to keep the deer at a manageable level where there aren't so many that there isn't enough food and there's a balance between man, deer and ecosystem. Also in Texas the money from hunting licenses goes towards further animal conservation and management. It's probably like that in most other states too.

brad cook

4. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

+ 1
    this is a major problem here in San Antonio , { Hill Country Village , a small sub-city ...}
    people actually had deer feeders in their yards .
    the deer have over populated , and now these people are trying to figure out how to humanely remove the deer from the town ... :scowl: