Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

taming aggressive mid's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by superphat, Dec 15, 2001.

1. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    hi all,
    i have a cirrus 5 that i love, except the bubinga top gives it a really agressive-midrange... and i haven't been too successful with EQ'ing from the bass or from my SWR 4004 amp(mid frequencies aren't sweepable).
    now, i do like the way the color of this bass cuts through the mix, but when i'm playing alone, i'd really like to try and get a smoother/rounder tone without losing too much in the mids. (obviously just turning down the mid-range knob on the bass is one way to approach it, but then the scooped slap tone isn't really working for me either).
    i'm thinking i could maybe buy a tube preamp with comprehensive EQ (too expensive) or the fodera stompbox preamp to try to warm it up (can't find one to try out though).
    hmmm...
    any suggestions?

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

i do like the way the color of this bass cuts through the mix, but when i'm playing alone, i'd really like to try and get a smoother/rounder tone without losing too much in the mids.

Many of us struggle with good stage tone versus good solo tone. I've got a Lull P5 made of ash which is similar: it lacks lows when A/B'd solo against my other basses, but has fantastic growl and definition in the mix.

But anyway, here's a couple ideas for you if you're determined to fix your solo tone: instead of cutting mids, try gentle boost of treble and bass. If your current EQ doesn't provide the solution, a sweepable EQ might. I've heard good things about the Yamaha Nathan East NE-1, but haven't tried one myself.