1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tangible differences with different bridges?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JosephRose, Jan 9, 2018.

1. JosephRose

JosephRose

Nov 9, 2016
    Philly-ish
    Looking for some real world info concerning the tangible differences with different bridges.

What would any certain 3rd party bridge offer over, say the standard issue on a modern Fender. Could you listen to a recording and identify what bridge is being used? Is it a matter of... feel? What exactly is perceptibly different or better?

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

They either affect all aspects, or some, or none depending on who you talk to.

Let the festivities begin.

sissy kathy likes this.
  3. I used to always get a high mass bridge ASAP, but the last time I changed a bent plate bridge (on a Cort made of Poplar) I couldn't tell the difference.

These days, If I'm going to put a new bridge on it will need to have an added benefit, adjustable string spacing or quick release for the ball ends.

My current main player has gold hardware (mono-rail saddles) & I was convincing myself to change it to cosmo black, but I never got there. (since I feel like changing for aesthetics is sort of bourgeois)

4. None.

Flame away!

96tbird likes this.
  5. Will someone destroy my double post for me?

6. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Most of those changes in the bridges are contingent upon how good your money can hear. The more expensive the bridge, the more adamant some are that they can hear a difference. IME, there are two reasons to change a bridge; your bridge is defective thus not doing its job, or 'cause, that is, you want to blow some money and a bridge is as good a place as any.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    96tbird likes this.
  7. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Search is your friend.

Bridges.

8. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Reason three: Looks cool. Probably the most common reason for bridge swaps.

Slater and sissy kathy like this.
  9. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The best reason to change a bridge (other than failure) is to get some form of adjustability that your current bridge doesn’t offer. If you’re chasing tone, IMO, your money is best spent elsewhere.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  10. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Changing those mono-rails is a little bit of a PITA. Each one has it’s own separate ground wire.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  11. I noticed that when I had the E string one out, making a better ground connection. It was measuring 200 Ohms to the output jack...