1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tanglewood Audition

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by anthem274, Apr 22, 2006.

1. anthem274

anthem274

Jul 19, 2003
    Arlington, TX
    I will be auditioning for the 2007 YAO at BUTI (possibly many other acronyms). I'm required to tape two contrasting solo works. How about this:

1.) Chanson Triste - Koussevitzky
    2.) The Koussevitzky Concerto (first movement)

Should I maybe rethink playing two pieces by the same composer? There's plenty of time to cook up a movement of one of the Bach suites or any of the Vanhal, Dragonetti, etc. concertos. I can also fall back on any of the Eccles movements if I have to.

Also, if I should replace one of the two, which one?

Whadya think?

2. They mean "contrasting" in multiple senses. I would strongly advise against using the same composer for both tracks. Bach would go very nicely with one of the Koussevitzky pieces.

3. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    Ditto.

Try something classical, baroque or comtemporary.

4. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York
    YAO is an amazing 6 weeks. I went in 2002 and it changed my life. As well as learning so much about the bass, i really became dedicated to my practice and my future. Best of luck.

You should also try to go to Todd Seeber's bass workshop the two weeks before if he still does that. It was great.

5. Also, you could hedge your bets a bit by sending tapes to several major festivals. If you sent tapes to Tanglewood, Aspen, and Interlochen (assuming that you're a decent player), you'll be sure to get into at least one of them. Even if your heart's set on Tanglewood, this might be a smart move.

6. bassman1489

bassman1489

Jun 11, 2006
    if you can play those pieces well, i'm fairly certain you will get accepted. however i do suggest replacing one of those pieces with something else. a movement of a bach suite would work really well. it doesn't have to be ridiculously hard, they just want to see that you have your technique down and some sense of musicianship. i played the minuet from the first suite, and a movement of a scarlatti solo (neither of which were very impressive) and i got in, so i wouldn't worry about it too much.

in terms of which to replace, it's really up to you. whichever you feel more comfortable with, you should play

7. Cosmos

Cosmos

Sep 21, 2006
    New York, NY
    i got into YAO and the bass seminar playing the first two movements of the koussevitzsky concerto, so if you play well, you've got a shot no matter what your rep is.

8. Anonymous2

Anonymous2

Feb 27, 2006
    Competition gets stiffer and stiffer. I'd record the first movement of Shostakovich's Second Cello Concerto and Piazzola's Tango.

9. Don't forget the entire 24th Paganini Caprice, at pitch.

10. jdapodaca

jdapodaca

May 25, 2006
    El Paso, Texas
    hehe.