Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tanglewood basses - Anyone tried one?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gazzabom, May 26, 2001.

1. gazzabom

gazzabom Guest

Apr 9, 2001
    Wales
    Anyone ever tried one of these? I picked one up today and thought it was actually really good, but i cant find anything about it anywhere. Anyone know where i can find more info. And if anyone has played one, what are your opinions? Thanks

2. I'm really interested in these myself. I've never had the chnce to play one. How did it sound? They look awesome.

3. I own a Tanglewood Rebel 4K:
    [​IMG]

It plays quite well, there is good versatility in the sound. Poplar body, 24-fret neck, jumbo frets, 1 P-pickup, 1 J-pickup. Both EMC Electronics made(Europe Music Company). 2 Vol., 1 Tone. It would hold up for a gig, but you would need a decent amp. The J pickup soloed is the most twangy sound I have ever experienced.

It cost me £200 new. It's better than any bass in the price range(Squier, Ibanez GSR200, DeArmond, Liberty, Dean). There are a couple of Tanglewoods to choose from, such as a Warwick copy(FNA and a Streamer S2). I chose the Rebel 4K as I love the small body and massive neck.

Cheers :D

4. I've got a Tanglewood warrior 2 bass... i needed something new.. it plays like a dream and sounds pretty good.. i play bass in a hardcore/punk/metal band an i like how it differs from the usual p-bass both sound and looks wise.. i played a few more expensive basses.. an it wiped the floor with most of them.... i got it for £250 with set up..... love it... i'll probably put better electronics in it eventually.. but its fine for what i do

5. I thought you were talking about a vastly different bass. Metropolitan Guitars makes a model called Tanglewood.

6. i just bought one of these and it is by far the greatest bass i've played. i'm in a bluesy/rock band and its perfect for the music i'm doing. nice to look at, nice to play and solid as a rock. i've heard a couple of reports of guys trying purposely to break these things with no success!! only cost me £295 - well worth it!

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well before we get carried away, these are cheap Korean copies of copies - I've seen them in the shops in the UK and in adverts for about £100 and people seem to be very keen to sell them. :rolleyes: I would say that you are always going to be better off with a Mexican Fender Jazz.

8. I've got one as well. It's a Stingray copy in the nicest bluey/greeny colour, and cost £200. Playability isn't bad, although it's virtually impossible to slap, if you're into that kind of thing of course. Sound is very powerful, although it hasn't exactly got amazing tonal variety. Not bad overall really, but for me it's not something I'd neccessarily want as my main bass, but is a good back-up bass in my opinion.

9. Maybe people don't want to keep em cos they don't have Fender on the headstock:rolleyes:

Plus, most MIM Jazzes are around £300-£350, a lot more for a beginners than £150-£200.

10. Bruce Lindfield

Overwater in Carlisle are selling Mexican Jazz and Precision basses for £239 (5 string for £269) and I have tried quite a few of these and actually like them better than the the USA standards I have tried. The Mexi Js are more playable to me and have a flatter neck profile.

While they are basic, you can upgrade them with a vast range of replacement parts, when you have the money and turn them into much better basses. Their re-sale value is also much better than any "no-name" basses, so for me they are the ideal recommendation in this price range/area.

11. My point still stands. A newbie will not travel to somewhere lie Carlisle for a bass. It just won't happen. Like it or not, Tanglewoods are the gem of starter basses. They give decent quality for a low price.

And I find it really hard to find replacement pickups/eq's/nuts etc. anywhere round Manchester. I've never seen a BadAssII bridge in real life. MIM Jazzes may be around £239, but when it's on the wall next to a £120 Squier(which also has Fender on the headstock, and lets be honest, that's what every newbie looks for) it isn't such an attractive option.

To me, Fender are the Nike of basses - you pay for the name.

12. Bruce Lindfield

13. patrickroberts

patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    i have a Tanglewood P-bass copy...and it isn't too bad, altough i do get some fret buzz it is pretty good for my first bass........although i want the real thing!

15. just to add to what i said before.... this is a better bass for me then a fender mim bass... i know cause i have one... it might not be better then a properly set up mia but i don't know.. an yes it is a copy of a copy but i'm a student an can't afford warwick basses atm.. also i can't bear the thought of giving up my basses.. i even found use for my old fender squire when i defretted an started messing with the electronics... i'm a sentimental olg git though.. resale value means nothing to me cause i'll never sell a bass..

i was told about tanglewood basses by a mate in another band and since i got mine i know at least one guy who saw it an bought one and another who is thinking about it.. they arn't bad basses

16. Bruce Lindfield

Well I wasn't really suggesting that anybody should actually buy a bass mail order. I was just quoting this price as an example, as I'd just had their latest price list through the post.

So my main point is that if MIM basses are going for £239 then they are a much better buy than a Tanglewood, which some people in this thread have said they bought for £250.

I know that one of the UK posters here lives very near Overwater - but as I say that wasn't the main point I was making. You can get MIMs for roughly the same price and for me these are vastly superior to any Tanglewoods I've seen in the UK. Both in terms of sound, playability etc. as well as, as an investment when you want to upgrade or trade in.

17. Perhaps, but my point about Fender setups when new still stand.

18. Bruce Lindfield

Well, the worst setups I've seen on basses in shops in the UK have been on Ernie Ball Musicman's - a few have just been unplayable and they were charging £1200 !! :rolleyes:

The MIMs I have tried (probably over a hundred by now!) have generally been pretty good and these basses are very easy to set up your self - I would have though that most people could do this, with help from the Fender website which sets it out very clearly.

I can never believe it when you get the vast majority of people undertaking big DIY projects at home that keeps their house under a ton of rubble for months and then they say they can't set up a bass! :rolleyes: