Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tanglewood Curbow - Thoughts? Experience?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Las Olas, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Hey guys

Yep, I used the search feature first! :cool:

I recently played an unlined fretless Tanglewood Curbow, and found it great. Just wondering if anyone had experience with them? Basically I'm very close to bidding on a fretless Fender Jazz on Ebay which I dont think will go for under £800 but the Curbow I played was only £350.

I want to replace my fretless I sold, and need something to supplement the Fretted Thumb and Stingray.

Thanks in advance!

Regards

LA

2. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Tanglewood??? don't you mean Cort Curbow?

3. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Nope, Greg Curbow has sponsored Tanglewood, Cort and Conklin to use his design....

Regards

LA

4. This one's funny:

Tanglewood Warrior III Bass
    The semi hollow version of the Warrior Bass(...)

:rolleyes:

LOL.. the only thing it has on common with the "Warrior" is that it is based on a Warwick.
    At least they admit they did based on Warwicks.. and they seem quite inexpensive.

5. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    So....

No-one's played them? No ideas?

Regards

LA

6. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Nope, never tried one, although the look quite appeals to me.

You said you've actually had one in your hands - what was it you liked about it? Have you got any reason to believe that the Fender you're thining about will really be worth at least £450 more?

Wulf

7. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    That's what I was thinking. It felt great! Really smooth, gorgeous sound, even through a 125watt combo. I'm thinking I might track down to London again and play once more. For £350, I think it's a good deal, but obviously if I hear horror stories about them here I would reconsider.

The Ebay Fender Jazz has been played by Suzi Quatro's bassist, who also gigged with Steve Harley and the Cockney Rebels!

Decisions decisions.

I was just looking at a photo of you, Wulf, in your Nigerian getup when I got the email saying there was a reply to my thread! Good timing! :cool:

Kind regards

LA

8. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I thought Suzi Quatro was a bassist... or did she mainly wear it as a decoration with someone else backing her up? (Nb. extended discussion of this would belong under bassists rather basses).

Whatever the story is on that, I'd guess that some of the price is due to 'star value'. Sounds like something I'd leave to the collectors...

Wulf

9. Someone here must have played them, and Cort Curbows have been discussed quite a lot. So if you searched for "Tanglewood Curbow", try replacing "Tanglewood" with "Cort" and you might find some useful comments.

10. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Wulf: she was a bassist, but i suppose gigged occasionly just singing.

Star fact: I actually know Suzi Quatro, and have played bass with her in a pub, before a gig in which her son played :thumb:

Regards

LA

11. euthe

euthe

Feb 14, 2007
    Vancouver B.C.
    I cant speak from direct experience, i play an Ibanez myself however my boyfriend swears by his small family of fretted four string tanglewood curbows. incredibly light, fast neck. nice bass. While i was never a big fan of the concept of luthites and synthetics i wouldnt bat an eyelash if someone offered me a tanglewood for a good price. hope my small bit of input helps. if you can find one giver!

12. JazzyLambert

JazzyLambert

Dec 8, 2008
    Australia
    Cort Curbows are great, fast playing machines. But their very modern tone (luthite body + ebonol fretboard)is not for everybody.

Here is a vid of me playing a cort curbow live when I was 14.

13. They look much nicer than the Cort's you get here in the States.

Seems like Tanglewood offers a lot more variations of the Curbow than Cort does.

I mean, you can't get a neck through, solid hardwood version of the Cort Curbow here.

I'd go for it. They look very nice.

14. Hughsie

Hughsie

Nov 21, 2006
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Played a Curbow instore a while ago, liked it. Incidentally, it was a Cort, as were the others I've seen in shops here. It was fretted; sounded a lot better than it looked (!) and I even quite liked the plastic fretboard/body materials ... vaguely remember thinking that the slap switch was a bit nasty.

15. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    This, thread is 6 years old, pretty sure the OP made a decision by now.:smug:

16. Hughsie

Hughsie

Nov 21, 2006
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Heheh ... never noticed that, just the date on the previous post. Guess that explains the 'Tanglewood mystery' ..! :D