Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tanya Grotter and the Magical Double Bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Bob Gollihur, Nov 7, 2002.

1. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    A double bass diversion: a Harry Potter-inspired Russian writer has had his book, "Tanya Grotter and the Magical Double Bass" published. Tanya Grotter rides a magical double bass instead of a broom <g>.

There's a small but inspiring photo on a Norwegian page at http://www.nrk.no/litteratur/2141827.html and an article at http://www.itv.com/news/Front832284.html --

Of course, Rowling is suing. Better hurry up and get yours whether you read Russian or not, could be a collectors item!

I'd love to have a better photo of the book cover!

[​IMG]

2. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    Here is a larger one:

[​IMG]

KOHTPAbAC, eh... cool :D

3. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    That DB is so magical that it has chelo tuning pegs !!!, and a slim body too! (details, details,...)

4. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    It's nice to know that ignorance about musical instruments is widespread throughout the entire world. ;)

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I played the Red Lion the other night. My first trip in the club was with my amp. The sound man (term used loosely, more of The Noise Guy, really) asked me if I was the cello player.

"Nope, " says I, "I'm the bass player."

He holds his hand over his head and says, "The big thing, right?"

"Yup, that's me, " I replied, "but it's a bass. A cello is about half that size."

"Cello, bass, whatever. I don't need to know what it is and don't care, really. I just have to make it loud."

Sigh.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well phonetically that would be "Kontrabass" -

Tanya Grotter i Magicheski Kontrabass.

Actually, though Bob - I don't think JK Rowling could sue as she stole the whole idea for Harry Potter from Neil Gaiman's "Books of Magic" - which was a mini -series of comics published by DC under the Vertigo series a few years before Harry Potter appeared. :(

7. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Hey--I recognize that bass...I SOLD IT to Tanya...yup! That's my bridge on there...

8. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    I know that... just cool to see it in Russian writing.

9. LOL, Ray that's funny, it's usually only the audience that asks that question. Like at pretty much every single gig!

10. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Sad, but true.

11. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Around here, it's "..ho..big ukulele, brah!..." and I laugh each time like it's the first, or risk an ass whuppin'.

12. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    In New York I use either the acidic smile or the blank stare. If it's someone who obviously has a good sense of humor I can use the jerky-sarcastic reply, ex. "Freakin' clever one, dude!". Works best with a midwestern accent and a big smile.

13. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Just heard on TV that this will be a topic on Wolf Blitzer's CNN show tonight.

I would have guessed there would be a big market for stories about flying double basses.

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

JK Rowling now has more money than she knows what to do with anyway - there have been stories in the British press about her trying to put up a huge wall around her house - objected to, by local residents.

15. 'Harry Potter' Defeats 'Tanya Grotter' in Court

AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - British "Harry Potter (news - web sites)" author J.K. Rowling (news - web sites) won a court battle on Thursday to block the Dutch publication of a Russian novel about a girl wizard called "Tanya Grotter" after arguing it copied one of Rowling's bestsellers.

Rowling asked an Amsterdam court to stop publication of the first Western edition of "The Magic Double Bass" by Dmitry Yemets, which her lawyer says copies her hit book "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone." Yemets said his book was a parody.

16. For Potter parodies - check-out Michael Gerber's "Barry Trotter and the Unauthorized Parody" ("Barry Trotter and the Shameless Parody" in the UK) - very funny, and not unlike "Bored of The Rings" (anyone else remember that one?)...

- Wil

17. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Oh yes... Frito Bugger, accompanied by Moxie and Pepsi, and aided by Goodgulf the Grey, set off on their quest...

"I am Arrowroot, of Arrowshirt, and I have many names..."