Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tap and artificial harmonics

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bradymccluer, Jul 19, 2002.

1. bradymccluer

bradymccluer

May 15, 2002
    i know naturals but the tap and artificial confuse me. i have a Jaco bass tab book but he uses quite a few of these artificial harmonics on the song birdland. the tab will give a fret # 14 but have either 26 or 38 in parenthesis. i just thought this was a neat sound and i figured it was produced with struming hand but i don't know how to produce that sound. the same with tap harmonics, if anyone can help i'd appreciate it

2. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    For the artificialharmonics, fret with your left hand like you normally would. With your right hand, use your thumb to set the node on the string, and use your other fingers to pluck the string. They are also called pinching harmonics because of the pinching action of your right hand.

3. bradymccluer

bradymccluer

May 15, 2002
    oh i see, so you just rest your thumb on the string and pluck behind it

thanks

4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    yeah basically. It does make a difference where you put your thumb though. You have to divide the string into half, 1/4, 1/8, etc to get harmonics. So if you are fretting at the 12th fret, you need to put your thumb where the 24th fret or 36th fret would be.

5. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    ....and to tap the harmonics, simply tap the above fret (or area, if it falls off the fretboard) that's one octave above where you are fretting. Be sure not to tap the string the whole way onto the fret though.