tap bass

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Fishbrain, Mar 9, 2001.

1. Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    what is it? do u just tap the string with ure finger tip?
  2. Don't quote me on this: (I'm unsure)

It involves holding down frets and hitting the string on the fingerboard with the side of a pick.

I belive the action needs to be very low.
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Davy, that's not what he meant, I think...

You hit the string on a fret with your fingertip, like you would in a hammer-on. The sound comes from hitting the string and lasts as long as you leave your finger there. Approach it like you fret a single note with a finger, but apply more force/momentum, because that's what has to get the string to vibrate. You can do it with both hands to play chords and plolyphonic/-rhythmic stuff. The right (plucking) hand should be placed on the neck like your fretting hand, but from above the neck.

Hope you get my drift. It's a little difficult to explain without pics and in a foreign language.
  4. bsplyr54

bsplyr54 Guest

Mar 3, 2001
    Champaign, IL
    hey man, there are two styles that i have been introduced to. there are some lessons on the bass tab archive that i think are really good. try them put, tell me what you think.
  5. BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    it is supposed to be done just like a guitar player, I beleive, it is hard, I am trying to get it down, so I can further frighten local area bands when I warm up. So for so good, but it is really hard to get clean without a lot of fret-buzz.
  6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Basically, yes, like a PC keyboard or a typewriter. On a 4 string, you can put your thumb on the near side of the neck and dedicate a finger to each string if your pinky is up to the job. On more than 4, my thumb is usually damping the B/E since I don't find those strings worthwhile to tap, (for me anyway), and they may ring sympathetically.

What I usually do is a hammer on with the left hand for the first note and then pick up the next couple with the right, tapping hand before using the left for another hammer on.

If your action is high you'll have a hard time tapping, I'm afraid.
  7. Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    where abouts do u tap? is it on the finger board or where u would play if u had a pick or wot?
  8. If you ever see the video for Primus "My Name is Mud"(live version)Les does some kewl tapping on that!At least I think it`s tapping....he is fretting the notes but tapping with his right(plucking hand)on the neck....sounds tight!
  9. Heavier Than Thou

Heavier Than Thou

Jan 25, 2001
    Now, do I use a ball peen hammer, a claw hammer, or a mallet?????
  10. Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    k i tried it but i think im doin it wrong. where i tap i get that note instead. what is going wrong?
  11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Okay, try this (NO picks) -

Do a hammer on, on the 12th fret of A, with your left index finger (fretting hand). If you get a clear note that you can control, that is when it starts and when it stops, good.

Then, assuming you are using a 4-string, place your right thumb on the side of the neck and tap the D down on the 14th fret with your right index finger and repeat until you get a sustained, clear note. (If you aren't using a 4, your thumb will usually feel more comfortable between the B & E)

Now, do the same with the G, (14th fret), with the middle finger of your right hand, again, till you get a clear, sustained note that you can start and stop with control, (just like tapping a keyboard key). Then, tap the D again on the 14th fret.

- your left index finger is hammering on the A on the 12th fret, (release),
    - the right index finger is taping down the D on the 14th fret, (release),
    - the right middle finger is tapping down the G on the 14th fret release.
    - then repeat the tap on D on the 14th fret with your index finger

If you do this same 4 note pattern sliding down two frets, (A on the 10th fret, D & G on the 12th, D again on the 12th), and then two more frets, (A on the 8th, D & G on the 10th, D agina on the 10th), and repeat the pattern ascending the same you played it descending, you have a nice variation on Noel Redding's pattern for, "All Along the Watchtower.

If any of that's confusing, just let me know.
  12. that's right. you tap on a note, say 12th fret G string, with your right hand, and that note will sound just as if you were hammering on with your left hand. then, pull off that note with your right hand while your, say, ring finger is fretting D further down the string, and the note will jump down to that. then pull off with that finger while your index finger is fretting a C.

so your left hand = index finger 5th fret, ring finger 7th fret. then tap the 12th fret with your right index finger, pull off, and pull off with your left ring, and you'll get a rapid succession of notes. got that? good. now never do it again, i hate tapping.
  13. Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    ohhh, thanx a lot,

I C now.

but why do u hate tapping so much?
  14. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    Tapping.... look up Billy Sheehan... especially the track "NV43345" ^_______^