1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tap tempo delays with expression

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by smeet, Apr 3, 2013.

1. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I want an affordable delay that has tap tempo and expression control, and can do spacey soundscapes, but also defined time-synced repeats.

I'm leaning toward the DMB, but worried that the repeats might be to dark and undefined on bass to do a tempo-synced groove thing without getting muddy...

So far I've found these:
    • EHX Deluxe Memory Boy - Great feature set, but are the repeats too dark for doing time-synced Pink Floyd type stuff?
    • EHX Deluxe Memory Man Tap Tempo - Both Fat and kind of bright, sounds great, good features, but pricey!
    • Way Huge Supa-Puss - Bright delays, but expression control of delay time only, no quarter-note triplet division, not as fat-sounding as DMB. Volume drop when engaged?
    • JHS Panther Delay - sounds good, but very expensive and controls seem not as intuitive as DMB.
    Hep me fellas and ladies... :help:

2. smeet

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I don't know much about this one... What's the mod? It looks like tap tempo comes standard?

And it doesn't have expression control, right? That's something I really want if possible.

3. bludog

bludog

Apr 3, 2012
    Brooklyn 11217
    It's not exactly cheap but less than a Timeline or the JHS Panther... the Analogman Dual Analog Delay. If you add the AMAZE0 auxillary box you can do the tap tempo, and add modulation. The standalone unit already has an expression jack to control the feedback of one of the 2 channels. That's the other nice thing, it's essentially 2 delays in one box, plus all the extra features with the aux box.

I currently have just the dual delay, no aux but intend on adding it in the near future. Love the delay sound. I used to have a Boss DM-2 and DD-3. This is better for my needs. The delay time is a bit longer than the old DM-2, which is why I had the DD-3. The repeats are a little more clear than the DM-2 also, but not too bright and shiny like a digital delay. Personally, I was after the darker sound but clearer than the DM-2 and this nails that. The extra control is nice to have too, tep tempo and modulation on this would be amazing.

This one is not popular here on TB but it has a lot of fans out there if you ask around. Good luck!

EDIT: forgot to add that it can do infinite repeats without runing totally out of control.

4. yaksonator

yaksonator Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Branson, MO
    Way huge supa puss?!

5. smeet

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Supa-Puss is one of the ones I mentioned in the OP. I was excited about that one, it's small-ish and has a bright sound and it seemed like it was a feature-for-feature copy of the Deluxe Memory Boy but not as dark sounding.

But it lacks a couple of features (no quarter-note triplet subdivisions, and expression only applies to delay time). And, it appears to have a "bug" in that the gain structure doesn't allow you to turn the repeats up loud without lowering the volume of the dry signal.

Also, from the Youtube comparisons, although the repeats are bright, the overall sound seems thin compared to the Deluxe Memory Boy.

I'll take a look at the Analogman.

6. yaksonator

yaksonator Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Branson, MO
    Yeah... should of read the whole thing.

7. smeet

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    So... My main question about the Deluxe Memory Boy... Can I get a decent repeat echo thing that sounds good with the Pink Floyd stuff, like "One of These Days", etc.? Or is it too muddy? I already love the feature set and interface, and I think it will do the crazy soundscape thing really well. My only worry is that it will be too muddy and dirty sounding for the Floyd-ish groove stuff.

This is the basic sound I'm asking about:

8. The mod make's the original tap tempo switch the preset switch and a 1/4 inch jack is added for a new tap tempo

9. Basehead

Basehead Now with even more synthy goodness... Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    New York NY
    Get a used Timefactor...

10. enjoi1018

enjoi1018 Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Auburn, AL
    bumpin this from the dead for some more info....