1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

tap tempo tremolo pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mikkejohansson, May 10, 2010.

1. I realized this past weeken what wonders a tap trem would do for my sound (trying to tweak the volume knob to get the tempo just doesn't....cut it :) ).

I'm aware of the Empress, Cusack and Diamond pedals (and the Line6 Tonecore), are there any others with tap trem? Which of the above would you call your fav?

2. csala

csala

Aug 14, 2005
    Santa Monica, Ca
    I had the Empress and it was fantastic.

3. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I have and like the Empress. The Diamond is really good too. If I were buying one today I'd have a tough time choosing between them. Both are quiet, small and feature packed. And both can do a very hard chop which is a requirement for me. But I think I'd still pick the Empress because the tube setting is such a warm tone.

The Tap-A-Whirl was cool but the waveforms were far more than I needed. Likewise with the very cool but rare and expensive Goatkeepr.

One other option is the Iron Ether Cygnet. I haven't tried it, but it's built by a TBer, is priced well and has a ton of cool features.

http://ironether.com/pedals/cygnet/

4. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    If I remember correctly, Seymour Duncan's tremolo has tap tempo. It was on my short list of tremolos to buy, but I settled on the EBS because of the filter function.

5. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Yeah, I've already put in orders for two pedals from "Conical Johnson"/Taylor for Iron Ether pedals but I am still gassing for the Cygnet as well.

Yes, the SD is another option, and a good one. The LP filter on the EBS TremoLo is definitely cool. I ultimately sold it because I wanted tap tempo (bought my old Empress back) but the EBS gave such a cool syrupy sound with the filter on.

6. csala

csala

Aug 14, 2005
    Santa Monica, Ca

I had the Seymour Duncan pedal for a minute and it wasn't what I wanted. The biggest problem was that it had to be engaged before you could use the tap tempo. That was a deal breaker. With the Empress, for example, you could tap the tempo in and then engage the pedal. Much more functional for live use.

7. amfmsb

amfmsb

Dec 16, 2007
    I have the Empress - and its pretty awesome. However, I have recently taken it off my board because I have gotten a line6 M9, which has tap Trem. The M9 allows all of your time-based effects to be controlled through a global tempo that you set with the tap button, and offers a whole lot more rhythm options (dotted notes and triplets). However, the M9 doesn't allow have a level control for any of its trem models which the Empress does have.

8. I wonder if the Cygnet can do this..?

9. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Yep, you can tap the tempo while bypassed.

10. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    That put me off too, but I suppose you could stick it in a bypass looper and leave it switched on.

I really like the look of the Cusack especially the brake feature.

11. FromTheBassMent

FromTheBassMent Those who can, play bass.

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    I have the Seymor Duncan Shape Shifter in my guitar pedal board and I LOVE it. I turn the thing on before a song starts, tap the tempo as we're counting in, and then disengage it if I don't want it at the start of the song (rarely the case). If I engage it mid-song, I always have to re-tap as we're playing to correct, because we're human beings and we don't play live to a click track! The versatility of the control over the trem sounds is just spectacular (attack/decay slopes, wave shape), and I like the ability to tap in quarter, dotted, eigth or triplet tempos. True bypass, no tone suck, no added noise... it's a winner.

Plus, the damb thing was like $130 brand spankin new, and I didn't have to "put my name on a waiting list" and then pay upwards of $300.

12. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    Great, now I have to spend the rest of the day convincing myself I don't need tremolo. :scowl:

13. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    Yeah, I rarely use it without the filter switch engaged. Even though it doesn't have tap, the blinking status light is good enough for me to find the right spot tempo wise.

14. ricknote

ricknote

Aug 3, 2006
    Nashville
    I agree, this made the Duncan clumsy to use mid song.
    It's off my board now. I'm gonna save up for the Empress.

Rick

15. Eric!

Eric! Commercial User

Jan 22, 2009
    America's High-Five
    Mojo Hand FX
    After lots of trem research, I'm very partial to my Cusack Tap-A-Whirl v3 :D

16. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    The Line 6 M9 will do tap tempo tremolo when bypassed too.