1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tape/duct tape on pickguard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GTH007, Apr 19, 2015.

1. GTH007

GTH007

Apr 13, 2015
    I want to make a pattern on my pickguard, like what this guy did to his bass but only on the pickguard

What would work best and what would not be messy if i decided to take it off? Would duct tape work?

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Meaning you want the tape stuck on your bass? Or you are going to actually paint it?

Duct tape would look like crap either way. That looks like electrical tape, but it's going to leave a residue when he decides to take it off.
    If you want to paint it that's a whole different ball of problems.

3. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    This place makes wraps not only for the body but for pickguards and headstocks, too.
    Guitar Skins for Electric Bass & Acoustic Vinyl Wraps Decals & Stickers

Aqualung60 likes this.
  4. GTH007

GTH007

Apr 13, 2015
    Nah i didnt wanna paint it, just use a wraps/tapes.

5. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    Any tape will leave a residue when you remove it but the residue comes off with Citrasolv or similar nontoxic solvents: Citra Solv

Plucky The Bassist likes this.
  6. Imperfectly Spliced

Imperfectly Spliced

Mar 5, 2015
    As odd as it sounds I would try bondage tape. There's no sticky residue, but I'm not 100% sure that it will stay put on the pickguard.

It's pretty cheap though so I guess it would be worth a shot. If it ends up not working there are tons of other uses for it.

Nephilymbass likes this.
  7. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Like bondage

8. Gaff tape can be bought in flat black and neon yellow.

Spiking Tape is also for stage use, also leaves little or no residue, and can be bought in a multitude of colors.

9. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Any kind of tape on a plastic pickguard is not going to hurt anything, the residue can be removed. If you leave it on for a really long time you might get tan lines though.

10. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Umm, yeah. I can think of at least one other use for it. :thumbsup:

Imperfectly Spliced likes this.
  11. I think a high quality vinyl wrap is the best way to go. Tape goo will get on your fingers, then onto your strings unless you spray a clear over it to seal it in. A lot more work and a wrap is cheaper than a nice spray gun.

Imperfectly Spliced likes this.
  12. Imperfectly Spliced

Imperfectly Spliced

Mar 5, 2015
    Lol. Well yes that obviously being one of them, but since I know not everyone is in to that sort of thing I said "tons of other uses" to include other arts and craft types of uses. Less fun uses, but still somewhat fun/entertaining.

13. :)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  14. Do not put duct tape on your bass!!! I remove decals as part of my job and that crap is a nightmare to get off .

15. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    Why? Is your pickguard broken?

16. I'd get one of the custom wraps that jd56hawk mentioned, if it's reasonably priced. Either that or paint it. You'll notice tape on your pickguard, especially if you're a finger style player.

17. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    Whatever you do don't use gaffer tape on your bass, or anything else that you value the finish of. It is fine for short term and brilliant to hold things that need holding for a gig or so, but over long periods (months and years) the residue dries out and hardens. I'm sure you could get it off but it wouldn't be easy. If you must have gaff tape on things, make sure you change it occasionally. Nashua is better than the cheaper ones (which i'll only use if I have to) but even it dries out over time.

Doctor_Clock likes this.
  18. JollySpudd

JollySpudd Guest

Jul 17, 2013
    Hologram Plaid Contact Mylar. Not the best pic here, but quite a while ago, I put on some mylar hologram sticky "paper" that I bought from a Michael's craft store, and covered the white pickguard on the Rick that I play. It's been on for 15 years or so, getting a little frayed around the edges but still retains its colorful spectral holograph-y vibe pretty well. White was just sooooooo borrrring
    :rollno:

bholder and eukatheude like this.
  19. +1 for use of the word "multitude"

20. CMPANDABASS

CMPANDABASS The Moon Machine Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    +1000 on this, I have worked in television for almost 2 decades and use gaff tape every day. Contact paper (shelf Paper) or electrical tape are my votes for a plastic pickguard. Even if these leave any residue it can easily be removed with WD-40/Lighter Fluid/Goo Gone or any citrus goop remover.

JollySpudd likes this.