1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tape of pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by downstairs, Jun 16, 2001.

1. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    Ok, i went to this local show, and the first band up, a guy broke his E string, so the gui*ar player asked the lead singer/guitarist from this band Hybred to get a bass to borrow ( I think because i saw the guy talk and point ). So anyway, this dude Slinky from Hybred brings up his bass case and pulls out a Squire Jazz bass, with tape over the neck Pickup, just some masking tape, i didn't think much of it. Then later on that night, Slinky was playing and he had a Fender Jazz bass, with tape over the pickup, now, what is the advantage of having tape over your pickups? What does it do to the tone? Its just, i have never seen this done before, and i was gonna try it, but can't find my tape, any referance would be good.

2. jljohnson85

jljohnson85

Nov 27, 2000
    Woodstock, GA
    Im not sure about this, but I think he put tape on his pickups to prevent the strings from touching the exposed pole pieces while he is playing.