Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tape of pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by downstairs, Jun 16, 2001.

1. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    Ok, i went to this local show, and the first band up, a guy broke his E string, so the gui*ar player asked the lead singer/guitarist from this band Hybred to get a bass to borrow ( I think because i saw the guy talk and point ). So anyway, this dude Slinky from Hybred brings up his bass case and pulls out a Squire Jazz bass, with tape over the neck Pickup, just some masking tape, i didn't think much of it. Then later on that night, Slinky was playing and he had a Fender Jazz bass, with tape over the pickup, now, what is the advantage of having tape over your pickups? What does it do to the tone? Its just, i have never seen this done before, and i was gonna try it, but can't find my tape, any referance would be good.

2. jljohnson85

jljohnson85

Nov 27, 2000
    Woodstock, GA
    Im not sure about this, but I think he put tape on his pickups to prevent the strings from touching the exposed pole pieces while he is playing.