Tape over amplifier logo?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by crud19, Feb 25, 2003.

1. crud19

Sep 26, 2001
    Anybody know why musicians sometimes put gaffer or duct tape over their amplifier logos when they play on TV? Especially Marshall and Mesa speaker cabinets. I've noticed it coutless times and always wondered...
  2. yea im kinda curious about this too.. never bothered to ask tho..

maybe the amp companies don't wanna be endorsed by them?? :meh:
  3. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    It's the other way around - artists don't want to give manufacturers free advertising on TV.
  4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Once you buy it, you can do whatever you want and the amp companies can't do a thing about it.

The most likely reason is that the artist doesn't wish to provide an endorsement for the company.

Maybe the artist requested an endorsement and wasn't given one. Sort of the "why should I advertise for you if you aren't willing to help me?" attitude.

It all seems a bit childish to me.

5. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Seems like the "punk" thing to do :rolleyes:
  6. 1) Sometimes, bands perform with rental backline gear instead of their own brand. It could be that their personal favorite brand of gear is what they would rather be associated with, and not the rental brand.....?

2) OTOH, maybe they are using the gear that provides their trademark sound, and it is something that they would rather keep to themselves (and not reveal to the audience.) Most sharp-eyed folks will ID the gear anyway...

Just my 22 cents.:bassist:
  7. Maybe these people prefer the look of tape to a plastic logo.
  8. Parrott, you rule.:D
  9. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I once used a little tape to turn a Crate speaker cab into an Irate cab. ;)
  10. I think a lot of it is a "no-logo" political statement, which is kinda asinine if you ask me--it's not like little kids are learning tp say "Fender" or "Ibanez" before "Mommy."
  11. all i know is, when i rawk out, i like to take the system down at the same time. 'cause i'm hardcore.
  12. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    I once did a gig with a keyboard player who had tape over all his logos. This guy was an international player, toured the world. He asked for an endorsement from the keyboard company and they wouldnt provide one. So his attitude was that if they wont help him out, he wont help them out with free advertising.
  13. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Very often, the musician isn't using the gear he/she gets paid to endorse.

Or, they may have multiple endorsement deals and don't want to jeopardize any of them.

A couple of "fer instances" - Chris Squire shows up in Carvin catalogs as a Carvin endorser. Geezer Butler is on the Rickenbacker endorser list.
  14. So basically what Chasarms and Brooks said :p
  15. Zanderstar endorses Dean.
  16. Fishface

Jul 26, 2002
    Denver, Colorado
    :D :D Yeah!! That was hilarious!! :D :D
  17. Go Zanderstar!!!! Rock the world with Dean!

Sometimes the artists are just embarassed by what they use so they take the emblems off or tape them. I used to do that with my Peavey stuff because for some odd reason Peavey is against the law in this part of the state.:confused:
  18. If you watch any kind of music videos or any artist playing on, let's say the Tonight show, it seems that the camera angles are carefully chosen to give as little free ad time as possible to any manufacturer.(that doesn't have a deal going) How many times have you seen someone playing a Les Paul, but, the camera doesn't show the last two inches of the headstock where the name is?

19. Because the person's face isn't by it :D
  20. cheeseman

Feb 3, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I almost choked when I read that. No more chips and talkbass at the same time.

btw, nice avatar tunuts... DELETED!