Tape recorders... Do you use them..?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sojhen, Mar 12, 2005.

1. I just thought I would ask,.... I myself am an extremely forgetful person.
    So I carry a tape recorder around with me. And I was wondering do any
    of you employ the same "technique"
    I guess you would say...Often times I find myself waiting
    for the bus, or waiting in line, or at work... and I'm humming
    a little riff, so I whip out the tape recorder and hum it as best
    I can... Later on when I have a moment, I listen and figure
    it out on the bass and then tab it...
    I also number all my little riff's, and then record them by number onto
    a different tape so that I can go back and
    listen to how I played it before....
    (I forget them that easily..)
    So,... there's the question..

"Do you..?" :bassist:
  2. travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    No, but i probabally should

3. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I own a mini-disc, and record every single gig, rehearsal, or personal practice time. I've got catalogs and catalogs of the things over the many years.
  4. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    Here's what I use for various purposes:

1. Mini cassette recorder. This generally sounds like crap but it's surprisingly good for recording the bass. I use this at home to remember bass parts.
    2. Regular-size tape deck from the 1980s or early 90s, which still works really well. I use this mostly for guitar/piano/songwriting/composing.
    3. Korg D1600mkII - digital recording unit. Not only do I use it to record songs for real, but I also sometimes plug in the bass and start improvising.
    4. Memo pad and pencil. This is what I carry everywhere, sometimes also with little sheets of manuscript paper. I don't often get ideas when I'm out somewhere, but for those rare times, I'll just write it down.
  5. lol.. It's Good to see that you guys are utilizing many aspects in helping you with bass..
    Jazzbo: I think thats awesome that you have a library of previous gigs, practices etc,...

I would love to have someone with a camcorder for every gig... Make my own little music videos or something lol..
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I have a Portastudio in my basement for those riffs that I gotta record, I've written a few good songs but I lost the tape...
  7. I've had my tape recorder stolen before on a trip up north,... As well as tabbed basslines, my g/f's 20GB MP3 Player, All my drawings, art supplies,.... they were all in my backpack... :bawl: