1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tape to hold down pedal settings

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Veldar, May 31, 2018.

1. Hey everyone,

For pedals with lots of knobs (6 or more) I've been considering just putting duct tape on my stuff to hold down those hard to dial in pedals. So if anyone does this or uses any other similar ideas let me know.

Cheers, Sam.

2. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Some guys put little rubber O rings under the knobs. This increases the amount of friction necessary to turn them.

It also means you can still read the settings and there is no nasty tape residue all over your pedal.

3. bwildt

bwildt

Mar 21, 2017
    Wichita, Kansas
    Friends don't let friends allow duct tape near musical equipment. It always ends up a gooey mess. The proper tape is gaff (gaffer) tape. This is the standard tape in the theatrical world. It is strong, it sticks well, it can be repositioned, it can be pulled up without leaving a bunch of sticky residue that will attract dirt later.

It is available at theatrical supply outfits or Internet music equipment sites. It is not cheap, but it is great stuff.

BTW, Just like you are planning, I use a strip of it at church to anchor down a volume pot on a direct box that I don't want people to change.

4. Daniel-exx

Daniel-exx

May 27, 2018
    I just buy those little sticky dots and then stick them on where I’ve dialled in my pedal and then get a pen and make a line on said sticky dot. The dots don’t leave sticky behind when taken off either. Might look a bit silly but in my mind is the perfect solution to this issue. If my stuff gets knocked it’s a quick fix. :)

5. CatchaCuda

CatchaCuda

Feb 3, 2018
    Transfer, PA
    I've used hot glue in my guitar playing days. Just a little is needed to "tack weld" the side of the knob to the pedal. It pulls right off when needed, no residue, and you can still see where the setting is at.

ObsessiveArcher and BrBss like this.
  6. matty1039

matty1039

Oct 26, 2015
    New Orleans
    I've put a little square of tape with a dot on it where the knob should be dialed at and then you can adjust from there. Or you can use a grease pencil to mark where you want the dials.

You can adjust to the room or your mood but you still know where your baseline is at.

ObsessiveArcher likes this.
  7. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    On the front of my pedals (the side that the audience doesn't see), there's a piece of light grey gaff tape. On it, you'll find the positions of the knobs written down in sharpie - in "clock" position numbers. When I get to the gig, I check that the knobs are where the notes say, and we're good to go. If I decide to change my default setting, I change the gaff tape and write new numbers on it.

ELynx and ObsessiveArcher like this.
  8. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    The rubber O rings are the best! If you can get those, it's worth it. I put them on my Duality and you can still force the knob to turn, but you won't accidentally kick the settings off.

HolmeBass likes this.
  9. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    I take a photo of the settings and keep them stored in my phone. Check them at setup and go. No tape or mess left on the pedal.

ExaltBass, equill, cataract and 14 others like this.
  10. Use a Sharpie to mark your settings.

11. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    I use my cell phone to take a photo of the pedal, and the entire board once I get everything dialed in...

cataract, hieronymous, Border and 2 others like this.
  12. Another big NO for duct tape. Leaves a nasty residue, and also pulls loose over time....while leaving residue behind.

The ideas for rubber O-rings, dots to mark knob positions, or notation by clock numbers all seem like better ideas.

13. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Also at camera stores.

If OP is worried about finding the same settings more than preventing knob movement use a china marker to draw a line on the knob and on the pedal. It's non-marring and wipes off easily if you need to change it.
    WinePencil525.

el_Bajo_Verde, Pilgrim and DirtDog like this.
  14. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Guitar Center stocks gaffers tape too.

15. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    I use a black china marker for this purpose. Works great on enamel finished pedals, but on "raw" project boxes, wiping it off can be a bit problematic :)

lz4005 and SpyderX like this.
  16. SpyderX

SpyderX

Jun 6, 2015
    Costa Mesa, Ca
    More pricey than the above mentioned ideas - but an alternative

Groove Doctor and BurningSkies like this.
  17. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    Once you get your pedal dialed in at soundcheck, go out to the alley behind the venue and find a drunk guy who wants to make a little money. Tell him you'll give him twenty bucks if he'll hold your knobs for you while you play.

Oddly and pellomoco14 like this.
  18. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Plainfield Illinois
    I don’t hassle with any of this stuff. I just take a picture of my settings and keep them in my phone. Take a quick look at my settings before the gig during set up, bam, I’m done.

Been doing this for the past 8 years.

bassbully likes this.
  19. bloobass

bloobass

Jul 10, 2012
    Louisville, KY
    I had some light green "painters tape", the kind that can be removed from anything without leaving any residue. I just cut out some small arrows/triangles and stuck them pointing where the knob should be set. Kinda like this
    upload_2018-5-31_14-35-34.

Stumbo and Dan80sMan like this.
  20. Low84

Low84 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Once you dial in all your pedal settings, apply a small square or circle of the aforementioned gaffers tape to the centers of all the knobs... then with a Sharpie, draw an arrow on the gaffers tape, pointed at 12 o'clock.

Fast-forward to the night of the gig... your knobs have been twisted and turned around due to who knows what... and regardless of where the manufacturer's arrows are, point all the Sharpie arrows at 12 o'cock and you're ready to rock.

If you're one who changes your pedal settings, simply use different colored Sharpies for those songs.

Arrows up!

BazzaBass, Stumbo, Plectrum72 and 2 others like this.