Taper B String Help

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by walwear, Mar 9, 2003.

1. walwear

Feb 17, 2003

I'm moving to slightly heavier gauge strings and, as a result, have decided to use tapered B's for for my 5 and 6-string basses (.130). It seems that most string brands that I have tried have about a 2" (or slightly longer) taper section before they reach full gauge. While this is fine for most off-the-shelf bridges, it is problematic with my Wal bridges. The Wal bridge is slightly shorter than most, so the string doesn't reach full gauge until somewhere over the bridge pickup. The only strings that work nicely are Elixers...the taper section being only about 1.5". The Elixers are fine, but they don't have quite the bite that I am use to getting from DR Highbeams. Does anyone know of another brand of stainless strings with a 1.5" or shorter taper?

Thanks for the help.

2. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    There is one brand that has an adjustable ball end so that you can make the tapered length as short or long as you like. Rotosound RS99 Piano String Design is the string BUT.....all the strings are exposed core, not just the B string. Also, I don't think that you can get single B strings of this brand.