Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Taper core B strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by nonsqtr, May 31, 2004.

1. I use exposed core B strings

5 vote(s)
    10.6%
  2. I use wound core tapered B strings

13 vote(s)
    27.7%
  3. I only use non-tapered B strings

13 vote(s)
    27.7%
  4. I use both tapered and non-tapered B strings

16 vote(s)
    34.0%
  1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Do you five/six/seven string players like taper core B strings? Why or why not?

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    My Corvette came with a tapered B. it had an evil sound when I played it at the bridge, and so it wasnt funky enough... it was also a bit floppy for a .130...
    The TI Powerbass was non-tapered. It was only .119, and still a bit floppy and unfocused.
    The DR LRs were non-tapered, also; it was also a pain-in-the-a$$ to fit that .125 B into the bridge... With a fine file, it took an hour and a half to file and fit it into the bridge... less floppy, but still unfocused a bit...
    Maybe I'm just not a big fan of Bs, but I do need the D and C and sometimes the B, too...

It looks like that the bridge was designed for tapered, though :meh:
    If I find a .135 (or more) B that sounds good, then that will be it

3. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Oh and as for the poll, since I'm still in the process of finding the ideal strings, I didnt vote.

anyone know a string that has the growl and tensity of TI Powerbass, the clarity of DR LRs, and has a big tapered, tight and focused B? ;)

4. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    (Oh and that was my unofficial 1000st post! :hyper: :hyper: :D :cool: )

5. Blademaster Dez

Blademaster Dez

May 12, 2004
    I tried a bunch of strings on my Ibanez TRB105 (an entry level 5-string). The strings that sounded best on it, to me, were Dean Markley SR2000s gauged 45-100, with a 125 B, and the B, E, A, and D strings were taper-wound. I had been using regular roundwounds and the B's tended to sound woolly or muddy. The taper-wound B had the clearest definition on that particular bass.

But as is a common mantra, your results may vary. However, given my positive experience with taper-wounds I will likely use them again on future basses...unless they sound garbage on a particular bass, then I'll switch.

6. Yep, try the Sadowsky B-string, the best B-string I tried so far. The EADG strings are ok, but the B is really great.

R.

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I use tapered and non-tapered. I pretty much keep the same type on a particular bass, because string height adjustment is required when going from one type to the other.

8. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    FWIW, The word or phrase or name "TaperCore" is a Ken Smith Basses Trademark for a String style that WE put on the market in 1983. Although we did not patent the technique, we do OWN the name TaperCore, Taper Core, Tapercore or any other way you want to write it.

The copied brands using our technology do not use the word or name "Taper Core" to our knowledge and is NOT authorized to by us to use it as well......

9. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Ah, well, I didn't know that! Thanks for the heads-up Ken. :)

10. 5 string player here.........I use both tapered and non-tapered B strings, depends on the bass, the bridge and what sound I'm looking for.

I use Taperwound SR2000's on my Fenders and TI Power bass series on my Sadowsky V5.

[​IMG]
    Treena

11. gnergaard

gnergaard Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Chicago, IL USA
    I use nothing but D'Addario XL nickle series sets. The B is 130 diameter and no taper. Sounds great. Most taper-core B strings I've used are way too "floppy" and the concept doesn't work unless the length of the taper is optimized to the exact distance between Bridge and saddle of your particular bass.
    A better way to go is just to do a good job of "setting" the strings (with a non-taper) when you install them, ie: stretch the string a bit (at all points in the length) and then press down on the srting right before the bridge saddle so that it is making as firm contact with the saddle as possible. once this is done the string is likely to stay in tune better and give more fundamental because it's planted at the bridge and saddle.
    Many people probably already do this but for those that haven't tried it I highly reccomend it.
    As for Basses that dont allow for the diameter of a medium to heavy scale B string to fit through the bridge, that is an inexcusable design flaw. If you really like the bass I'd look into having the bridge modified.
    Hope that ya'll find this helpful!
    -Greg, Chicago

12. I prefer non-tapered in my Yamaha TRB6. I've fit a .135 through there without any modification.

13. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I haven't found a 'regular string' for my 55-01 yet. It came w/ a tapered B on it... I bought a set of "Shop GHS Boomers" from GVMH, & while I kinda like the EADG strings, I really hate the B that came with the set... It's not tapered, & am thinking I'll give DR Hi Beams a try next.

I feel like I need to raise the B a little bit, too... Well, maybe that's because of the B that's on it right now, because I didn't feel that way when I first bought it.

The GHS B I'm using, sounds a lil mushy, & floppy, & am getting alot of fret clank from it...

I prefer a medium weight string, 45, 65, 85, 105, & 130.

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

And IMHO these are excellent strings which should be on any bassist's audition list.

P.S. I do not work for Mr. Smith, nor do I receive any sort of compensation for stating this opinion. :) Depending on the bass, I also use DR Hi Beams and Fat Beams (non-tapered), La Bella Hard Rockin' Steels (tapered B and E), D'Addario EXL (non-tapered).