Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Taper core for better B?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by B String, May 25, 2005.

1. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I'm about to get a Fender bass with the strings going through
    the body. Some Fenders are known for having a "wimpy" b
    string. Does it make any difference using regular or taper or
    exposed core b string? Is one of these types usually a more
    taut feel? My Bass Player magazine string issue got thrown
    out, (not by me) so I could use some help here. Thanks

2. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Hey man!

I've used taper core Roto's on my 5 string fender, and, well, it didn't particularlily sound "tigther" to my ears. To me, it felt like the taper cores had lower tension, and vibrated more easily, and also had more harmonics. I thougth the "regular" strings sounded growlier though, and had more tension.

I'm not sure what you mean by "taut", but the taper cores definetly *felt* more "wimpy" than the regular strings to me.

Cheers,
    -Erlend

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    It's interesting that you say that, I feel the opposite. I had DR's on my FBB 5, and the B felt too loose, I switched to sr2000 (will lee, dean markely med.) and it felt a lot better.

Give them a try B string, maybe you'll feel like me about it.

4. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    Tapered strings can give you lower action. I like that however I can get the same action on my Lakland by going threw the body instead of threw the rear of the bridge. (you can do both on a Lakland). I can't say I ever ever ever played a Fender 5 I liked at all. But, If you use a heavy guage string then tapered may be the way to go.

5. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    So have we established that taper or exposed core b's, have
    less tension, or more tension than a regular b? I'm hoping to
    save a little money on experimenting.

6. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Whether the core is exposed or not has little to do with the tension of the string. That is more related to the gauge of the string, especially the gauge of the wire used for the core.

Of course, scale length has a lot to do with tension, but we're talking about tapered versus standard on the same bass.

That said, a taper core string will feel a little different from a standard type string. Whether or not that change in feel is an improvement is entirely subjective - it depends on the bass, as well as the player. There's really no getting around the neccessity to try them to see how they work for your playing style, on your bass.

I don't particularly care for tapered strings on any of my basses, but some folks swear by 'em.

7. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I use Fender 8250's on my FMTv string bass and sr2000 Dean Markey's (also a nice string!) on my Roscoe Beck, both sets have tapered "b" strings. It's all about touch and setup with "b" strings on 5 string Fenders and with tapered "b" strings that string does vibrate more freely. I myself prefer tapered b's and e strings, you just have to play with a little more control.

8. I used the Fender 8250's on my American Jazz 5 and thought they were ok(tapered B) I use Slinky 5's on my Stingray and that bass just whips the snots out of the Fender (non-tapered) I think it has more to do with the construction of the bass personally, but for my money, I don't like tapered strings. I tried the Lakland set (tapered) on the 55-94 I had and again, same thing, meaning, the bass just killed a Fender. You are going to have a bit of a time getting the snap out of a Fender 5, they just don't play that way, at least not any I ever tried or owned. Don't take that the wrong way, I love Fenders, just the 5's are a bit sloppy IMO.

9. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    In your experience have you played any of the newer fender
    am dlx V's with the 4 on top 1 on the bottom, and newer
    string trees? Most of the older Fender 5's I played had some
    sloppy b's. The newer ones seem MUCH better.

10. Magelus

Magelus

Sep 12, 2004
    Ohio
    Where exactly did you come about this set of strings. I've been wanting to try a set of taperes on my 55-01 but was always worried about the fit because of the scale on it.

11. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I would have to echo your exact same feelings on this matter. I like tapor cores, but all the strings have to be tapor cores. When only the B is tapored, it has a very wimpy feel and sounds nothing like the rest of the strings.

12. I bought them directly from Lakland via their website. Can't beat the deal, it's like $20 for the strings plus a little for shipping....nice. And to answer the question, I haven't tried the newer Fenders with the dual string trees, I just know my Stingray is all around a better player than my Fenders. Better neck, better action, better sound. Now, a Geddy Lee Jazz? Oooh, I'd take that... ;)

13. jhfva

jhfva

May 2, 2004
    Roanoke, VA
    I just switched the B string on my Fender Zone from a standard 125 to 130 taper and the feel is much better, much tighter. I had to make some height adjustments.

The taper seems to do better at holding it's pitch, too.

14. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    I have a string thru body 34" neck thru & have done the experimenting you are fixing to do. I have to have a tapered B string because of a tight fit w/piezo saddles. A regular string dosen't spin freely when stringing up so string gets twisted @ tension. (Won't orientate properly). A tapered B string fixes my setup.
    The tension is less on a tapered string because when intonated properly, the length is shorter. A regular B string saddle can be up to 1/2" farther back when intonated properly, making it longer & giving it more tension @ pitch. You might run into a problem w/the string not lining up directly over pickup poles all the way back but hip shot has a sideways adjustment as well if you have one.
    My tapered B is .130 but I'm fixing to experiment w/ .135 .110 .90 .70 .50 Prosteels. I have Prosteels .130-.45 on right now & love them. They give me more tension/less orbit than my fat beams. I still want more tension w/ my low action (2/32" on a Carvin LB75P)