Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

taper/exposed core nickels?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fralim01, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Does anybody make taper core or exposed core (like LaBella Super Steps) in nickel wounds? I can only find stainless steel...

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    BTW, 'Taper Core' is a Ken Smith Trademark... Other companies use various similar names to described their version of the String design we started back in 1982.

To answery your 'Exact' question; We make them in Nickle Plated Steel (aka Nickle) as well; http://www.kensmithbasses.com/Strings/bassburner.html

Sorry if I was over imformative BUT, if you asked if anyone made a 5-string 'JAZZ Bass' Then "Fender" is the ONLY Company that does.. All the rest are Copies !!!!!!!

3. Thaks for the inof Ken. I didnt know you guys invented the taper core. Cool! :cool:

I will give those strings a try

4. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I don't know who invented the actual idea for a String with 'stepped winding' but to my knowledge, we had never seen it done prior to our use of it. We made 'BareCore' Strings in 1981 for Anthony Jackson's 6-string Smith but we had trouble with Rotosound claming Patent rights to the design. We believed we did it Different and Better as well than they did. Our Attorney advised it would not be worth it to challenge their Patent. We then decided to just Run the Cover Wire over the Core at the end of all the multi-wound Strings (excluding the 'C' and 'G' as they had only a single winding over the Core). This technique practically named it self as it tapered and stepped down.. Now known as "Taper Core" over 20 years later... Now just about every String company in the world does a version of what we stumbled on over 20 years ago in effort to avoid a conflict.

5. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Carvin's nickel plated roundwounds neck down to a single winding at the bridge. I believe they are made by La Bella. The prices on these are hard to beat.

6. Lakland custom gauge nickels have a tapered "B"....