Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

taper or exposed core?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Apr 17, 2001.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    What brands do you all like for taper wound or exposed core strings? I've tried the kind that came with my Conklin and I like them (Dean Markley sr2000 will lee) but I'd like to try others on different basses. Thanks.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Maybe I'm out of the loop, but doesn't Rotosound still own the patent on exposed cores?

Personally, I agree with Jim D'Addario and some other biggies that taper cores are bad business, (string diameter and mass has to be even to vibrate properly). But, string design seems to be more voodoo than science, so some people make a good case the other way, as well.

If you do switch brands and buy tapers, be sure the the tapered section isn't too long for/will reach your saddles. Some people find out the hard way.

3. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I read that too, in BP I think; but you can't argue with results. That rotosound patent explains a lot. Thanks.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Bliss - Hope I didn't sound as if I was dissing Rotos. I used to be on a strict Swing 66 diet. If they could get them to perform as long as DR's, I'd come back.

5. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    No you didn't sound that way, I was unclear---I meant that it seems logical to me that tapers wouldn't work, yet I really like them.

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i also use sr2000's on my conklins. i like the fact that they taper down to the last winding, but not the exposed core.

i've never been able to get as good an intonation setup with non-tapers as i can with the dean markleys - i can get good, usable intonation above the 15th fret even on the low B, which is very cool.

7. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    that's what I use them for too, I tried dr's on the Conklin, and did not like the sound at all, the intonation I could get was comparatively weak. Normally I like the Dr style.

8. you should try either the Labella Super Steps Bass Strings or the Ken Smith Tapor Core Strings.
    I play with my action as close to my fretboard as possible without getting buzz and these strings always work for me.... Plus, they're steel strings. I don't know how much your into steel strings. But they have a nice bright tone to them......Peace

9. My experience with taper wounds have been unfavorable (I hate them). Like some of you had said I don't see how they could sound good, but for some I guess they do. Guess this doesn't help Blisshead, but I have been meaning to ask if anyone actually like these kind of strings (guess some do) and thought I would give my opinion on the matter.